• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone want to try and attribute this 1827 Capped Bust Half?

21 posts in this topic

I showed this before but have worked on what I hope is a better image. If possible (and if you feel like it laugh.gif ) see if you can give the Overton variety.

Thanks to anybody that gives this a shot. laugh.gif

merged_1827_Bust_Half.jpg

I'm gonna guess this is a trick question. The pictures are of 2 different coins. wink.gif

Nope, no trick question. And they are indeed the same coin. The reverse is really wild and bright. Wayte Raymond toning.

OK then, since I can't see if there are any die cracks or recut stars, letters, numbers or joined letters or measure the distance between stars and profile, then I will guess 0-117.

couldn't you have picked a date that didn't have a gazillion varieties? I'll give it a shot when I get home, though I still haven't attributed my own 1827! foreheadslap.gif

Hi folks. Thanks for the replies and giving opinions on the Overton variety. There sure are a lot for this year. I understand it's still tough to figure out by the image.

I also have to admit after spending a bit of time looking it up, I got overwhelmed with the time involved ( and haven't done this too much) so basically put it on hold. But I thought someone here might enjoy giving this a shot.

STMAN--You're a bust collector with more experience than I have--get out your book and get to work--we've eliminated a lot of die marriages and you've got the coin so you can see all the details that we can't--let us know what it turns out to be--I, for one, love to try and attribute these old time beauties--and the one you posted is gorgeous--I still think it's an O-131, maybe 132--you should give a prize--like a post that says " So and so is correct!!!" Its been fun!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I like to look these up as well. I will either figure it out in the next couple days... or I'm going to the Santa Clara show and maybe someone can help me out there. I will post the results as soon as I find out for sure. Heck... I might have a rare coin here and not know it. Highly doubtful, considering I bought it from a knowledgeable dealer. Thanks again for taking some time on this.IMO, these types of things are what makes these boards enjoyable.

If it's an O-131 or O-132 you're looking at R2 or R3--who knows, maybe it's a new variety--there still needs to be a prize. And, as you know, nothing is more of a prize to us Bust guys than a "You're right!" 893applaud-thumb.gif

Man it's hard to do this from a picture! I am pretty confident that you have reverse Y, which has pretty limited pairings, one with Obverse 21-s2 in O-132 (R.3), and Obverse 28 in O-145 (R.5). Based on what I can see in the photos, it looks more like Obverse 21-s2, indicating an O-132. That's my guess, of course keep in mind I am a novice and I still haven't attributed my own 1827 yet!

You have more patience than I have, jtryka! I started to look up the varieties even though I knew there were a rather large number of them, however, I just couldn't make out enough of what I use as key reference landmarks in this series to force me to sit down and get it right.

Hi Folks.... Drum roll please laugh.gif I have to admit with all the varieties to choose from, some laziness, and being busy from self employment, every-time I sat down to do this the phone rang or something. So I thought some of the members here might enjoy, or get frustrated with me attributing this piece.

I was kind of stuck, so at the Santa Clara show today, I met Sheridan Downey (spelling?) and he confirmed it was the O-132 R-3. So congratulations to the folks that got it right (atta boy) and thanks to the rest for giving it a shot. Hey, we'll have to do this again sometime. I just happen to have another one to use. Only this one I have already attributed myself. Stay tuned. I need to get an image first. 893whatthe.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif