• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1971-D Ike "Do you think it can be a NGC MS66?"

9 posts in this topic

I know that scans & pictures are difficult to judge.

It does have reasonable mint luster & it's actually gold toned in center. I'm only showing the Obv. because the Rev. is very simular in quality.

I'm thinking of sending it in to NGC and I think it's a solid MS66 but, who can ever tell (I'm not the final judge).

What do you think??

1971_D_Ike_Obv3.jpg

yep..I've seen many 66's with a lot more "chatter"...but like you I feel that submissions have turned into luck of the draw---65 and you lose, 67 and you hit a jackpot...good luck and let us know the results..

The Obv surely looks like a nice 66 but how does the Rev look? Sometimes a little more chatter on one side keeps it from grading what the other side looks like.

Since the thread is about Ike dollars, is the high/low relief earth easy to spot on the 1972 Ikes?

And what about the bold and thin letters on the Bicentennial Ikes?

The 1972 (P) Type 2 variety is very easy to spot; Cuba and the surrounding islands are sunken into the globe and very poorly defined. Conversely, on type 1 and 3, the islands are actually raised and clearly featured. Type 1 has three islands however, while Type 3 has at least four.