• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another guess the grade and Overton

11 posts in this topic

Yes, this maybe should be in the other forum, but we don't have a "Guess the Overton" forum. This one I've had for a couple of months but I'm way behind on taking pictures, so you get to see the new ones as I get to them. The picture may be a bit large for some but I thought it might be needed for determining the variety. It is still less than half the original size so if closer images are needed of selected areas I can provide them.

I don't know the Overton since I don't have any of the books, so you will have to grade each other on the answer there. Let me know what you think, and feel free to comment on the coin in general.

1823BHD_s.jpg

Thanks for the link and the opinions. I have used that web site before but hadn't had time to check it out for this coin until yesterday. I came to the same opinion on the O-103 die pair. I did notice a die crack and was wondering at what point the crack became big enough to be considered an O-103a.

1823BHDcrack.jpg

The crack appears to be far enough progressed for me to consider it the a die state. This attribution doesn't appear in Overton so I am not sure just how far it must extend to be "official" however.

I forgot to mention that I posted a somewhat smaller image in the guess the grade forum since I wasn't getting much "grade love" here. Of course I'll take opinions in either place. :grin:

I looked at the O-103a on the CoinZip site but I couldn't actually see the crack at all in the image there. Judging by the arrows pointing to the crack it seems that the crack on my coin does not extend quite as far. It also states that this is currently an R6 die state, but likely to come down as more are discovered. I know that an R6 die marrage would command a nice premium but what about this die state?

I cracked this coin out of plastic for my Dansco 7070 and will reveal the grade and brand of plastic in the guess the grade post later.

That is one sharp looking bustie! If you look at the 103 pics on coinzip, you can see the same crack extent on my 103, which was attributed by NGC as a 103 and not an "a".

I would grade this in the 50-55 range depending on the extent of luster. Great coin no matter what.

So that's your O103a pictured on CoinZip. I didn't recognize the other handle. I couldn't really see the crack in the image and was judging from the arrows. It looked like the crack on yours was a bit longer than mine. Would it be helpful for me to post my pictures on CoinZip? Either way, the cracks are very light.

NGC has a strict policy on what varieties they designate. Typically it has to be referenced in a specialty book, so if the O-103 a hasn't made it into the standard reference books then they won't attribute it. Maybe ANACS or ICG would.

As I mentioned in the thread in the guess the grade forum, the luster is hard to find. There are plenty of flow lines but they don't really cartwheel. There were a couple of suggestions that the coin had been cleaned. I can't see any signs of cleaning but it would explain the luster.

I asked earlier but no one replied, is there any premium for this rare die state? I know some coins carry big premiums for die state but many don't.

I'm not Dave, but actually the 103a on the site belongs to Ed Richter (edmerlr on here as well as Coinzip). Dave's 103 is shown in the 103 thread.

In answer to your question re premium for the die state, I would expect it to be very little if any. There are simply not enough die state collectors compared to die marrige collectors. The die marriage collectors can easily enough fill the slot with a 103.