• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This small Quarter Error...

8 posts in this topic

It's just too fuzzy to tell.

Possibly an RPM or perhaps machine doubling. I don't think any of the RPMs have any major value and machine doubling adds no premium.

Until the mid to late 1980's the mintmark was added to each working die by hand using a punch and mallet. Often it would take two or more blows with the mallet to properly sink the mintmark into the die. If the punch was not placed exactly in the same position a doubled mintmark would appear. Doubled or even tripled mintmarks are not all that uncommon. Most are very closely placed such as yours is. Th real interest and value come when the punchings are widely seperated (or in some cases even one mintmark letter over a different letter.)

I have no research to back his up but if you take 1% as a figure for dies having at least some repunching showing then for 1964-D quarters there should be some 20 to 30 different repunched mintmark varieties and some seven million coins with repunched mintmarks produced. I would be surprised if the fgure is any where near that low.

You need to contact CONECA and ask them how many repunched mintmark varieties they have listed for that year. tat would start giving us a feel for how frequently a repunched mintmark is produced.