• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

S G S (ms-70) looks good to me right ??

17 posts in this topic

I have recently purchased some Mercury dimes graded SGS-70 . At first look they seem good to me but I would like someone else to give me their opinion of this grading service. thanks. ?? I wouldn't mind come comment on the full band/ diagonal band/ horizontal band views too if possible. A comment of either or both is good by me.

Those coins won't grade that high at any highly regarded grading company, and the grades might not even be close. The "full band" designation is based on the center horizontal bands, not any of the others.

I don't really know what else to say without being able to see good images of the coins, other than that I hope you didn't bury yourself in them, mistakenly thinking you were getting a good deal. That is often what happens when people buy such coins.

Just knowing that neither PCGS or NGC has awarded any Mercury dimes with a grade of MS 70 should give some indication of how SGS grades. In fact PCGS has not graded any higher than 68 and NGC only 3 higher than 68 (MS69). Unless you spent $10k for each MS70, the chances are remote that they are. More than likely they are nice 64-65 coins. Hope you didn't pay 70 money for them. :grin:

Thanks Mark appreciate the quick response. I am trying to put together a full set using all of the grading companies and allowing a little for the popularity of the each.

i.e. with the exception of the 16-d 21's,26-s and just a couple others

If I arrive at the ballpark of ms-64 on each I'm good .

pcgs 64= sgs 69/70 or at least thats my thinking.

the split bands are another can of worms though.

If I arrive at the ballpark of ms-64 on each I'm good .

pcgs 64= sgs 69/70 or at least thats my thinking.

Assuming or generalizing like that can be very dangerous. And as you noted, if they are described as "full bands", but aren't, that's another potential major problem.

north_myrtle, please be very careful with your purchaes. I have seen SGS MS-70 coins that were actually circulated. And in addition, I have literally never seen even a single coin in an SGS that was correctly graded.

Thanks for the answer James. You say that some may be circulated. Does that mean they have been cleaned?

I have also seen cleaned and otherwise problem coins in SGS holders as well. But what I meant is that I've seen SGS "70" grades given to coins that really grade only AU or so.