• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your Morgan Proofs

13 posts in this topic

I'll start of with this one belonging to Dwaine. Any comments on why you believe the graders only awarded it with a 61 are welcomed.

1902probv_010.jpg

1902probv_005.jpg

1902prrev_010_1.jpg

1902prrev_016.jpg

One of my last US coins to go. Consigned to a well publicized Heritage auction in its PCGS 66 Cameo holder. Sold to a well-heeled collector who liked its looks? No. Laura of Legend buys it, adds a healthy markup, talks it up on Legend's site and quickly sells it for a nice profit. I guess some folks don't have the confidence to buy a coin without multiple endorsements.

08962908later-1.jpg

One of my last US coins to go. Consigned to a well publicized Heritage auction in its PCGS 66 Cameo holder. Sold to a well-heeled collector who liked its looks? No. Laura of Legend buys it, adds a healthy markup, talks it up on Legend's site and quickly sells it for a nice profit. I guess some folks don't have the confidence to buy a coin without multiple endorsements.

Perhaps the Legend client was unaware of the coin when it sold via auction. But even if he/she did know about it at that time, an auction house doesn't typically allow a return privilege like a dealer does, and that can (and should) be be an extremely important consideration.

In my experience, hairlines are the single greatest grade determinant for nineteenth century proof coinage.

I agree with you Tom. I had an 1862 proof Seated Half covered with hairlines, but still graded a 61.

1862PF62obv1227.jpg

In my experience, hairlines are the single greatest grade determinant for nineteenth century proof coinage.

I agree with you Tom. I had an 1862 proof Seated Half covered with hairlines, but still graded a 61.

Why say "but still graded a 61" ? Did you think it should have graded lower?

I was surprised that it didn't bb. I submitted it before I became educated in the signs of cleaning. I wasn't aware of the hairlines until after it was returned and I had imaged it.

hairlines or not........those are some pretty coins. Never owned a proof Morgan but it's on the list of coins I want to acquire :cloud9:

I agree with both statements. Was this type of cleaning an accepted practice in the 1800's and early 1900's?

I was surprised that it didn't bb. I submitted it before I became educated in the signs of cleaning. I wasn't aware of the hairlines until after it was returned and I had imaged it.

I don't know how it looks in hand, but a PR61 grade typically indicates a lot of hair-lining and it takes even more than " a lot" to end up with a body-bag. ;)

I don't know how it looks in hand, but a PR61 grade typically indicates a lot of hair-lining and it takes even more than " a lot" to end up with a body-bag. ;)

In hand it was blast white with a ton of luster and no marks or distractions......that is until you loupe it or take a large closeup.