• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you prefer on your slab?

Green CAC Sticker Vs. NGC star designation   

177 members have voted

1. 1. Green CAC Sticker Vs. NGC star designation

70 posts in this topic

I don't like being confined to two answers. (tsk) But, if I had to choose, I'd take the CAC sticker, because it's more likely that I'd need help with doctoring than with eye appeal.

The Star without a doubt. It has shown itself in the marketplace to command a premium price. The CAC sticker hasn't shown anything yet other than its supporters saying it commands a premium price.

The star, by far. Even if my coin does meet "CAC standards", I don't want a sticker.

That answer makes little sense to me. If you do not want the sticker, you can peel it off.

I'll take the sticker any day over the star. Many of the "star" coins that I have seen have been over-graded and/or over-processed. Why dos that deserve a premium?

I'll take the sticker any day over the star. Many of the "star" coins that I have seen have been over-graded and/or over-processed. Why dos that deserve a premium?

Does every CAC stickered coin desrve the CAC sticker?

The star, by far. Even if my coin does meet "CAC standards", I don't want a sticker.

That answer makes little sense to me. If you do not want the sticker, you can peel it off.

Robert, that's what I do - peel the sticker off :o !

But, I have never even attempted to remove a "star" lol (nor would I try).

I voted for the star because it gives you more registry points.

BUT I don't own any coins with the star because I mostly spend big bucks on early coins, which never seem to get stars.

Your choices leave something to be desired. That is like asking someone if they would prefer jumping from the top of the Empire State Building or being hung from it.

What would I prefer on my slab? Eggs over easy, bacon and home fries.

Chris

No question, the NGC*! The CAC sticker merely means that someone agrees with the slab graders. The star means the coin is better than exceptional for the grade and would therefore elicit a better response when/if reselling the coin and hopefully be more attractive to look upon.

Jim

Just wondering...

I would prefer the NGC Star. In the most recent issue of Coin World there is an Editorial regarding a person against CAC and a Person for CAC.

The person that is against CAC amkes the point that the TPG grades the coin out of the holder while CAC "stickers" the holder itself without taking the coin out of the holder and the holder could have scratches or make the coin harder to see etc.

Your choices leave something to be desired. That is like asking someone if they would prefer jumping from the top of the Empire State Building or being hung from it.

What would I prefer on my slab? Eggs over easy, bacon and home fries.

Chris

If it meant "jumping off the Empire State building to the ground below" then I prefer hanging from it as the former would be certain Death and the latter mught mean I could be rescued.

No question, the NGC*! The CAC sticker merely means that someone agrees with the slab graders. The star means the coin is better than exceptional for the grade and would therefore elicit a better response when/if reselling the coin and hopefully be more attractive to look upon.

Jim

The NGC star supposedly speaks to a coin's eye appeal, not its being "better than exceptional for the grade", above average for the grade or, for that matter, even average for the grade, quality-wise. ;)

Thanks for all of your thoughts. What choices did you guys want hm ? Those two seemed the most common and comparable to me (shrug)
What does one of those have to do with the other? A CAC sticker doesn't necessarily have anything to do with extra/special eye-appeal, which is what the NGC star is supposed to stand for.

I'd rather have the sticker. I already have an NGC * in my reference set, but I don't have a CAC stickered slab yet. I've only seen ONE so far at a show and it was too high priced to add to the reference set.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. What choices did you guys want hm ? Those two seemed the most common and comparable to me (shrug)
What does one of those have to do with the other? A CAC sticker doesn't necessarily have anything to do with extra/special eye-appeal, which is what the NGC star is supposed to stand for.

I know you’re right Mark but do most collectors make a definitive distinction between a tpg assessing special eye-appeal and another group assessing that the coin is above average for the grade? That’s an honest question and one that I’m sure you would know better than I. It was my thought that most collectors wouldn’t think of these extra assessments as drastically different.

I have seen very few original, attractive 19th century coins in NGC star holders. I have seen more with CAC stickers. I stand by decision to take the green bean over the star.

Found one in auction right now and I really, really want it. 1896 Barber Half Heritage

lf-1.jpglf2.jpg

:takeit:

Found one in auction right now and I really, really want it.

Be prepared to drop about $35K, Paul.

:o

I haven't seen the coin in person but will take the under on that figure. ;)

I know you’re right Mark but do most collectors make a definitive distinction between a tpg assessing special eye-appeal and another group assessing that the coin is above average for the grade? That’s an honest question and one that I’m sure you would know better than I. It was my thought that most collectors wouldn’t think of these extra assessments as drastically different.

I hope that most collectors make that distinction, but don't know if that's the case or not. I have seen a number of star coins that are quite beautiful, but, at best, look low end for the assigned grade.

I would prefer the NGC Star. In the most recent issue of Coin World there is an Editorial regarding a person against CAC and a Person for CAC.

The person that is against CAC amkes the point that the TPG grades the coin out of the holder while CAC "stickers" the holder itself without taking the coin out of the holder and the holder could have scratches or make the coin harder to see etc.

Speaking of that “Coin World” face-off, one of the positive points that the pro-CAC guy made was that “CAC will make a market for stickered coins.” He goes on to say that it will make it “safer for less than professional collectors and investors” to participate with the assurance that they are buying quality coin. “As this new money come in, the market expands, prices rise and the owners of quality, original coins benefit.”

My response that is NOT SO FAST!!!! One group that is decidedly unwelcome in this hobby is speculators. These people, who don’t give a damn about coins and only care about profits, have shown time and time again what they can do. They drive up prices artificially, drive out legitimate collectors and end up trading among themselves usually through promoter-dealers. Ultimately a number of them lose money big time when their artificially expanded market collapses. The only winners are a few dealers if they have had sense enough to get their capital out of the over inflated market they have helped to create.

If pulling people into the coin market with more money than brains is a goal of CAC, this has nothing to do with consumer protection and everything to do with profits for a few insider dealers to the detriment of the hobby and collectors.