• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jefferson dansco question

11 posts in this topic

I'm working on an almost completed Jefferson dansco with proofs. I have a question concerning putting in proofs for circulateds. I have a 1960, 61, 62, & 64 proof jeffersons that I was thinking of changing out my normal circulateds in my album. There are no mintmarks associated with these anyway (P-mint issues). I was wondering if anyone has done this or do you think that the dates are used for just the regular issue coins?? I really don't understand that if proofs were made for those years, why the Danscos didn't add the proof slots. Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't replace the circulated coins, but I would maybe add another blank page in the back for misc. proof issues that they did not include.

That's not a bad idea Chad. The only problem I have is the book pages go to 2011 and there's not enough room in the album for one more page. And there are no existing blank holes.

Are you sure there's no more room? hm

In that case, I'd keep a separate album page - maybe one of those 2X2 plastic pages - for the misc. proof coins. Who says all the coins have to be in the same Dansco album?

What you have is the new edition of the Dansco for Jeffersons, you cannot add pages to the album and I believe the proofs start in 1968-S and do include spaces for SMS 65,66 and 67 but did not have slots for pre-65 proofs as they are considered specialized.

I'd keep the business strikes as is and keep those early proofs separated, find an earlier dated Dansco and fill in those pages with the proofs.

What you have is the new edition of the Dansco for Jeffersons, you cannot add pages to the album and I believe the proofs start in 1968-S and do include spaces for SMS 65,66 and 67 but did not have slots for pre-65 proofs as they are considered specialized.

I'd keep the business strikes as is and keep those early proofs separated, find an earlier dated Dansco and fill in those pages with the proofs.

You are correct there Woody!

You are correct there Woody!

I agree as well.

My father-in-law has been working for some time no an MS/PF Jefferson nickel Dansco album and he places the proof issues from the 1960s onward into the regular issue slots in his album.

My father-in-law has been working for some time no an MS/PF Jefferson nickel Dansco album and he places the proof issues from the 1960s onward into the regular issue slots in his album.

While I don't like doing this, there is a history of collectors doing this sort of thing. I believe Eliasberg himself did that.

Maybe Dansco albums are different, but it has been my experience that these types of albums are not good for Proof coins. The coins seem very prone to spotting and toning in ways that lower or destroy the value of the coins. My approach has been to have “virtual sets” where I know that I have the Proof coins in sets. It does not provide the collector satisfaction of having the coins lined up side by side, but with my collecting interests, and given the value of the coins I have, that type is display is not really possible.