• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regarding the construction of "box dollars" (or opium dollars)....

11 posts in this topic

I assume that the creation of a "box dollar" requires the destruction of two coins - one the host (outer shell), and the other the closure. Any ideas what would have been done with the removed silver, though? Also, am I correct in my assumption of two coins being consumed?

Finally, anyone ever hear of box dollars still being made?

I haven't seen any modern looking ones, except those spy coins there was a post about a while back.

I would think that if you wanted one made, though, you could find someone to do it.

I've heard of Ike's that had this done, like Zach mentioned. I don't think this is as popular as it used to be (although, I don't think it was ever very popular). Much like hobo nickels, and engraved love tokens, the box dollar is a curio from times long past.

I really doubt that these coins were used to smuggle much opium. There was not very much space to hide much of anything in them. I think that they were used for just the purpose shown in the photos. They were used to house photos.

I’ve also seen this done on Columbian Half Dollars. I’ve seen pictures of those coins, but I’ve never seen one in person. I have an example of a box Trade Dollar, but I don’t have any pictures of it handy.

Agree with Bill Jones. these were not suitable for smuggling opium due to the small space inside. These were used to hide a picture of a loved one that you didn't want your wife to find.

Could they have been used to carry your personal opium stash? You know a little something to get you through the day? Hence the name????