• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading information sought

8 posts in this topic

I have seen it said many times over "learn to grade your own coins". Does anybody know of a book available that deals specifically with statehood quarters? I have submitted many of them for grading, and can't really complain.

Most of em come back 66 or better in mint state. And 98% of the proofs are 69.

But, I have only had 1 come back in ms68 so I figure I need to learn more, so I can recognize them when I see them (assuming I have any to see). Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

juggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifthumbsup2.gif

I'm not really knowledgable about state quarters, but I presume that the methodology for grading them can't be much different from grading any other modern gem BU coin.

Unfortunately, I think it's really hard to learn to grade MS-65+ coins from a book, as the written descriptions are too vague for me to understand.

However, the grading guide that PCGS put out a few years ago (Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection) does have several nice big pictures of high grade MS coins that might be useful. I understand that this book may be out of print, but I think it shows up on eBay as well as at the numismatic booksellers.

There's also a video called "Grading Mint State US Coins" that may be useful (I've never seen it) and I recall that James Halperin wrote a book on grading (several years ago or more) that focused on mint state coins.

Other than that, the ANA offers grading courses that are reported to be excellent, if you can spare the time and expense.

I suggest, like I always suggest, go to shows, auctions or stores and LOOK at as many as you can. Books don't cut it.

You'll notice right off the bat that not only will you be able to tell the PQ coins after looking at 1000s of junk coins you'll also get an idea of which dates/mintmark have the nicer coins.

When I first got back into collecting in 1992 I chose Ikes as my first series (why? I have no idea...lol). It didn't take long for me to figure out that it was very difficult for find 71-P 72-P and 76-P in gem grades. Just by looking at these coins pretty much told me what I later found out to be true reading the PCGS census.

Now as to whether you'll be able to decern a 67 from a 68 is another matter. Personally, I don't give damn since a 65 or 66 is nice enough AND I don't to pay those stupid premiums. BUT if that is what YOU want to do you had BETTER take a good long time looking at nothing but state quarters for a good 5 years. Of course, like most of us you won't do this and break down and just buy the slab. This unfortunately is sad direction our hobby has gone but that's just way it is I suppose....

jom

The differences between grades like MS-67 and 68 and PR-69 and 70 are such that no book could ever describe them in word or picture form. In fact the differences are so subtle that I doubt that the grading services could apply any standards consistently. That's one of the reasons why worrying about whether or not you have the finest graded let alone the finest known example of any state quarter issue is like chasing your tail.

The best advice is to go to shows and look at as many coins as possible, but even then you probably won’t see too many examples. PCGS, which sadly is the only grading service that really counts in this area of the market, keeps a close tab on how many of these coins they “make.” They control the market and the supply.

If you think that I am making this area of the market sound like a lot of numismatic politics and hooey, you are catching my drift. Life is too short and there are too many other far more interesting coins to collect. If you can condition yourself, go for state quarters that really look attractive to you for reasonable money and leave the registry chase to the lemmings. insane.gif

But, I have only had 1 come back in ms68 so I figure I need to learn more, so I can recognize them when I see them (assuming I have any to see).

Try holding the coin at arms length.......they'll all grade the same that way. 27_laughing.gif

Leo sign-funnypost.gif

As written earlier ANA had some great material. You could also either buy some circulated coin hoards or use your own, and start viewing the coins in detail. I use a microscope, Zeiss 10x loupe, and a 6x loupe. This gives me great viewing ability. Also you need very good cotton gloves. Be careful of the ones you buy, as some have plastic and polypropalyne (sp) thread imbeaded and will mark the coins. I have in my early days forgot to put them on when taking coins out of proof protection. That really messed my days up. This is a great forum for help.

You can also grade the circulated coins and see if any of the dealers in your local area will help, and coin clubs are also good places to meet some very good people. Read everything you can from Coin World, Numismmatis and any other coin material. Do you subscribe to any professional journals. All will help, and you should do really well and probably start to disagree with some graders when you get coins back. This is a good sign because it shows you are starting to know where to look and for what. Good luck, and enjoy. It is a very good hobby and skill. History is cool.

Steve