• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin back from NGC

4 posts in this topic

Hi, Samuel.

I had this happen a few years back when I submitted an 1805 dime to PCGS. It came back as a "cast copy". I was devestated but fortunately, it was purchased from a reputable dealer and I kept the receipt. Even after a couple of years, he refunded my money. Is there any chance that you can return the coin to the seller?

Here is a little more information about cast copies from "Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection", 2nd edition.

"The most basic and most crude of counterfeit coins are cast copies. These generally are manufactured not for the purpose of fraud, but to create a copy as a souvenir or promotional giveaway.

Usually the cast copy can be easily identified by a seam that runs around the outside edge or circumference of the coin. The seam appears at the point where two molds, obverse and reverse, are joined. As the metal is poured of forced through the opening in the edge and fills the voids of the mold, a "coin" is produced.

Casting has come a long way from its early beginings, and some cast copies today are made from plastic molds, using centrifugal force. These are of slightly higher quality, but still can be detected by noting their faulty edges (unless they have been filed) and lack of surface detail.

The most commonly seen cast copies of American coins are colonial and territorial pieces. A number of crudely made cast pieces were manufactured for the sole purpose of being sold as souvenirs on historic occasions, and these are easily detected.

Virtually all cast copies are underweight, compared with genuine coins from which they are copied, due to the fact that base metals usually are used in place of any precious metals that would have been present in the original coins. The base metals most commonly used include pewter or some other combination of tin, zinc, or lead." (P. 288-289)

RI AL