• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Coins-Rubber Bands-PVC Flips

18 posts in this topic

What is your opinion of taking a stack of proof coins, in this case say proof Franklin Halves, packaging them in PVC flips and wrapping them in rubber bands?

Is it ok to do this? Would it leave any marks in your opinion? Have you ever done this or received proof coins like this? Would anything happen to the coins if packaged this way?

Do not let coins of any kind get anywhere near PVC products of any sort. Ever. I wrote a WYNTK about PVC a while back, you should read it.

AGREED!!

You can pick up a box of Safe Flips or archival safe cardboard holders for a few dollars. You are better off using those products and not anything containing PVC!

Scott :hi:

I sense a note of sarcasm in the OP :) !

The nuttiest storage mechanism I've ever seen was a bunch of proof coins stored loose in a dirty old cigar box. The guy would shuffle through the coins and pull one out and ask "how about this one?". Apparently, that was how he had been enjoying his coins for decades. I had to patiently explain to him that he probably had destroyed 90% of the numismatic premium due to the awful tarnish and bagmarks he had imparted over the years. In addition, he was a heavy smoker, and every coin smelled like tobacco.

Quote:
Would anything happen to the coins if packaged this way?

Short term, no.

Long term, Yes.

I've had PVC develope in hours in a room with the window open in the summertime. PVC flips are never acceptable, in my opinion. Rubber bands can give off sulferous compounds that react with metal.

Never use PVC flips. I've used non PVC flips and rubberbanded coins up, I don't see a problem with that, but have never left them that way, it was only done for shipping or whatnot. I've personally never left them rubber banded for myself, but that's just because I have them in boxes and there's no need for rubber bands.

On another note, I once bought what a company was describing as pliable non-pvc flips. As you know the regular flips are very rigid. So, I gave them a shot. I put about 20 proof halves that I had in them, and only a few days later all the coins became hazy. When I called the company back they said, we never said you should store proof coins in there and never said those flips were non-pvc. Needless to say, I've never done business with them again as they weren't even interested in me sending their product back for a refund. Coast to Coast coins if your interested in who sold me those.

Rubber bans can be worse than PVC. Over time they form "burns" that are brown black marks that are etched into the medal. Removing them is impossible with out digging a hole in the coin.

Given that the coins are not coming in direct contact with the rubber bans, you probably will avoid the worse, but rubber gives off sulfur with will tone your coins if your store them in a confined space like a safe deposit box. And the toning often is not the stuff that brings the big bucks. It is usually brown and ugly.

To put in PC terms, I think your storage plan leaves a lot to be desired.

Personally I don't like flips PERIOD for long term storage. To me they provide the perfect opportunity for hairlines and "cabinate friction." My vote goes to Eagle holders or properly fitting Capital Plastic holders.

Rubber bans can be worse than PVC. Over time they form "burns" that are brown black marks that are etched into the medal. Removing them is impossible with out digging a hole in the coin.

Agreed, and if the rubber band passes across the coins, even if they are in the flips, the sulfur compounds will eventually migrate their way right through the flips and damage the coins.

Quote:

Agreed, and if the rubber band passes across the coins, even if they are in the flips, the sulfur compounds will eventually migrate their way right through the flips and damage the coins.

Oh Boy !! I'll say......I don't even keep rubber bands in the same room with my coins....Paul

So, how long would it take to damage the surfaces of these proof franklin halves?

Immediately? A day, week, longer?

Personally I would never put coins in these kinds of flips and certainly not wrap them in rubber bands, But let's say this is circa 1986 or thereabouts. What choice did we have then? What choice did say an auction company have?

I've shipped and received proof frankys that were secured with rubber bands. I've never had them ever discolor any of the coins. On another note, I've never left coins wrapped with rubber bands for any length of time. Honestly though, I've never even considered that rubber bands would discolor coins that were in a non pvc flip but after reading some of the comments here I might reconsider ever using rubber bands again for even short periods of time.

I have a lot of proof single coins, a lot of rubber bands and a lot of non pvc flips so I think I'll do an experiment and see exactly how long it takes or if it ever will. Again, I've never even considered the fact that rubber band residue would seep through the flip. So, we'll see if it will and if it does, how long it will take.

~But let's say this is circa 1986 or thereabouts. What choice did we have then? What choice did say an auction company have?~

I can remember going to coin shows prior to the grading companies encapsulation of coins in hard carbonate plastic, where PVC flips and soft plastic holders were very abundant on and off the tables. First of all, there was not much else on the market to keep single coins in and we, the hobby, were ignorant at the long term effects that PVC (especially the softeners) had on copper, nickel and silver. At least the novice had no idea, I’m sure there were long term collectors who encountered verdigris or sticky build-up on their coins and had an idea where it derived from, but it took time in the hobby for this important information to trickle down to the novice or part time collectors.

In other words, we accepted and did not question coin supply companies in their getting to the collector supplies required to house coins of all denominations. It was also a cheap source for sellers to display and house the inventory and even knowing that the soft plastic holders might damage the contents with long time storage, the sellers assumed the coin would be removed or that the buyer knew not to keep the coin within the provided slip.

Now, as far as rubber bands and coins, rubber bands have co-existed with coins for many, many years. They have been used to hold and secure Band-Aide boxes, cigar boxes, wrapped together numerous shotgun rolls of coins, tied Whitman Folders together and I have yet to see a rubber band that did not actually touch a coin, change that coin or coins in anyway.

The staple that was sometimes used to clasp the PVC flip together can do more damage to a coin than a rubber band ever could. Now, I agree that long term (years, decades) with rubber bands in the vicinity of coins is not a very good idea, the fumes released by the sulphur products can be detrimental to coins, so avoid this at all costs.

Note: Rubber products contained a higher percentage of sulphur than they do now days, so back in 1986 rubber bands provided a lethal source of possible oxides.