• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the best or worst deal you ever got on a coin....

4 posts in this topic

It can be for 1 cent to whatever price...... I think my best was a coin a bought a few years ago..mabye 2000... I bought the coin as AU... Oregon 1926 for $100.00 and it graded out at MS 66 which I have seen in Magazines for $400.00 now..

Worst deal was on a gold coin I got in Mexico.. I was younger.... paid like 600 for a 1898 S 20 dollar ... It was American 20 Dollar.. grades XF / AU

The best deal I ever got on a coin was on a 1919 Mexican peso graded MS-63 in an ANACS holder. In BU this coin has a book value of $1,800, and this coin is much nicer than an average BU coin. I won it on eBay for the $175 opening bid.

I was looking through the going, going, gone section of eBay a few years ago and seen the auction with about 5 mins. left to go. I noticed that the opening bid was $175 with no reserve and that no one had bid on the coin. I remembered that the 1919 peso is one of the two rarest of the Mexican pesos, the other being the 1918 that books at $2,500 in BU. So I bid $200 and won it at the opening bid of $175. I fully expected that the seller would e-mail me saying that he forgot to put a reserve on the coin and would not be able to sell it at that price, but to his credit he did not.

John

Hmmm...I guess on a percentage basis, it has to be the 1996 Unc. NCS dollar I bought on eBay a couple years ago. I wanted a proof (which at the time was about $30) and this one was advertised as a proof, but the photo was an unc., so I figured the picture was wrong. I bid and won it for around $35, and when I got it, sure enough, it was an unc coin in a proof box, so I emailed the seller and informed them of the error, and offered to return it since there was a big difference in value, but the never responded. I ended up selling it when I realized I already had one for $150, ($35 turned into $150=330% gain). The other one was an 1873 $20 that I bought as AU for about $375, and it graded MS-61, which books at about $1200. Otherwise, most of my coins have just risen in value after I bought them, which is just a good pick on my part, not necessarily a bargain at the time of purchase.

I try not to remember the worst deals. blush.gif

My best deal was an 1876 half eagle (lightly cleaned, AU details) for $562. I think it sold for about $1,400. Now if I can only find another one. frown.gif