• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Louis (St. Charles) Show Report & New Pieces!

14 posts in this topic

I attended the St. Louis show yesterday with a coin club buddy of mine. I would say that there were about 120 dealers there and, at least for Saturday, very light attendance. I know this may not be good for the dealers, but I like not to have to battle to see what's offered.

I had one main objective - find a nice coin for my birth year and felt a 1959 Cameo Franklin would do the trick. I had trouble finding one at any of the dealer tables. This was consistent with my friend's experience at the Baltimore ANA show. Guess this must be a tough date for Cameos. Amazingly, at one of the dealers where I inquired, he told me there was an older gentlemen named Wes wandering the floor with some halves and had 4 Cameos in the date I wanted!

So how to find this guy? I couldn't just walk up to people like some deranged coin fanatic (well, that does describe me actually)! As I continued to roam the bourse, I overheard a guy talking about wanting to sell some of his cameos to a dealer. Needless to say, with apologies to the dealer (he didn't mind), I jumped in asking if he had any 59' cameo Frankies. He showed me all four and I had to go for the best of the bunch (NGC Cameo PR66* - Yeehaw):

1959PR66StarCameoObverse.jpg

The line in the above and front of Ben's face is on the plastic not the coin (sorry, my pictures are not the best....kind of yellowish due to the lighting and my pics don't capture the crisp silver frostyness of the actual coin).

1959PR66StarCameoReverse.jpg

So, I had a little cash left over from my budget and kept circling the floor like a hungry vulture. Stopped by and mooned over a 1868 blue frosty BN proof IHC at Aspen Park Rare Coins (way over my head, but drooled nonetheless). Evan Gale is a nice guy! Then as I reached the last row after my fourth or fifth pass, I saw a Conder Token that caught my eye and the lion told me he needed a home (my first Conder):

PidcockConderTokenObverse.jpg

PidcockConderTokenReverse.jpg

This is a 1795 Half Penny Middlesex (England) DH414 Pidcocks "Exibition" (note mispelling, no "h"). Pidcock's show was one of several popular travelling menageries or wild beast shows that drove through towns. Since people didn't travel much then, this was a source of entertainment. Pidcock was one that owned exotic animals and this token advertised his show while also serving as small change in circulation. Grade guesses anyone?

I had a great time and am glad I bought these two pieces.

.......and why didn't you give us a report?

No kidding, I was swamped from the opening bell on all three days, and after I got home, I jumped directly into cataloging, never getting to bed before midnight! Sorry guys. I wish I could have taken time write up some reports.

Think of it this way - the catalog will be all the more better because of these huge sacrifices lol !

Originally Posted By: cpm9ball
.......and why didn't you give us a report?

No kidding, I was swamped from the opening bell on all three days, and after I got home, I jumped directly into cataloging, never getting to bed before midnight! Sorry guys. I wish I could have taken time write up some reports.

Think of it this way - the catalog will be all the more better because of these huge sacrifices lol !

"more better" ? Please don't use demonstratives like that in the catalog. I'll have a heck of a time reading it. lolThat's too bad about the show report. You always have some of the more better reports.Chris

Here's my response to a PM I just got. Might as well copy it here:

I was swamped from start to finish - but many dealers were not (most, in fact). That said, my experience isn't a fair barometer, since half the guys that were at my table were fellow members of the coin club. We just all kind of hang out together, so its a foregone conclusion that I'll be busy at any St. Louis show. I did break away for a solid hour lunch on Saturday, though. Oh and Chris, before you ask, sorry but no Doritos this time! I got stuck with pretzels.

I bought no new CBHs at the show at all, unfortunately - hardly ever got a chance to! I was able to fill out some want list material, though, and that's always a good thing.

My best sellers were, by far, COPPER. I am not exaggerating when I say I sold at least twenty-five large cents. Four were $500+, and all the rest were $50 and lower. That was enough to make my show, but I did also sell of the usual odds and ends. I did sell a 1915-S Buffalo for $150, and a 1913-S T1 for $50, and I also sold - count 'em up - SIX 1950 proof Roosevelt dimes. I had started hoarding them, and finally got around to setting them on the table, and half of them got snapped up!

....the second one is quite interesting.

Rey

Thank you, I thought so too. Beyond the design, I liked how the reverse was slightly struck off center creating a ledge.I would really like someone's estimate of the grade. I'm thinking unc rb, but I don't know anything about grading Conder Tokens.