• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan VAM Clarification Please - Part One

4 posts in this topic

We have six 1885 O Morgan Dollars in our collection, so I was going through them today to determine which one(s) to keep. I began looking at VAM World and it appears that I have two different VAMs with three coins each. But not being that familiar with Morgan VAMs, I would like some assistance. These first three all have the short dash well below second 8 annd a vertical mark on denticle underneath the second 8. The first coin's image is hard to tell but they are there. My question is though. I know they are at least VAM 7, but I can not determine if any are VAM 14 or 16 possibly, O shifted right or far date, doubled arrows and O shifter right, respectively.

I will post the other three in another post later.

Thanks,

Rey

1885OObv1.jpg1885ORev1.jpg

1885OObv2.jpg1885ORev2.jpg

1885OObv3.jpg1885ORev3.jpg

I wish I could help you in some way Rey but I'm noooo good at Vams. I'm sure you've traveled Vamworld on these already! Good luck my friend!

Rey, it's possible that your specimens are a combination of two or more VAM's. It's not uncommon to have different VAM's merged into one because one happens to be a later die state. For example, it's possible that the VAM7 (dash under the 8) could be combined with the VAM8 (mintmark set right). It also looks like you may have a slanted date with the 5 set higher than the 1. I can't tell if there is any doubling present from your photos.

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to submit them to Leroy Van Allen for attribution.

Chris