• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newcomer... can someone help me understand this?

12 posts in this topic

I was thinking about starting a collection of NGC 70 state quarters, and was looking on eBay to do a little research.

I noticed that this first auction was for what appears to me, the complete 50 quarter set:

Complete Set

But then I looked at a closing auction for a Delaware coin that by itself finished for three times more than the asking price for the complete set:

Delaware Silver Coin

The set you are looking at is the clad set, the Delaware coin was the silver version. The mint produces both the clad (made of copper nickel like the change in your pocket) and 90% silver (the same composition as circulating coins prior to 1964). In 1999, the silver set brings about 3x to 4x the price of the clad set, just for the raw ungraded set. I don't know the details on the individual coins, but it might be the case that very few of the silver quarters from 1999 grade at the PR-70 level, leading to the higher price. That should help you with the reasoning, but I can't even come close to saying if either the price of the set or Delaware quarter are fair.

Clad Proof state quarters in NGC PR-70 are a bit unusual, but they are not impossible to find. The PCGS graded coins sell for more.

Two factors are in play for the 1999 silver Proof Delaware state quarter. First it is part of the 1999 silver Proof set that has sold for a few hundred dollars for a number of years. Second this coin is viewed as a scarce item in PR-70. That combined with the urge some collectors have #1 registry set, drives the cost of low population coins (low population coins = very few coins in the NGC or PCGS holder in the PR-70 grade) through the roof.

I've paid some hefty prices for coins, but I'd never pay $7,800.00 for a State quarter. Overall the coins are just not that rare with a mintage in this case of just over 1 million in silver Proof. Sure PR-70's might be "rare", but the coin overall is common, and for me that does not add up to a premium price.

But I'm one of those collectors who specilizes in "classic (old) coins."

The "silver" PR-70 Delaware Statehood quarter that sold for $7800 is what we in the hobby call "Moon Money" above and beyond the actual worth for reasons Bill Jones explained.

Often times in the hobby you will hear..."This particular grade sold for Moon Money the last time it was up for auction!"

Ask yourself how much "value" would you loose if you broke the silver 70 out of the holder. Would it go back into a 70 holder if cracked out? Probably not. This is an ego coin for NGC registry participants that want to be #1 'cause their woody is not.

Ask yourself how much "value" would you loose if you broke the silver 70 out of the holder. Would it go back into a 70 holder if cracked out? Probably not. This is an ego coin for NGC registry participants that want to be #1 'cause their woody is not.

(thumbs u

tiny little bugger

(thumbs u

tiny little bugger

made me laugh

I just couldn't see in a million years for paying $7000+ for proof state hood quarter IMO. I just think that's ridiculous, I'm sure it was for a top spot for the registry, but besides that.... come on doh!

A fool and his money are soon parted.

However, this adage doesn't apply to people who have so much that they have to think of ridiculous ways to spend it.

Chris