• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War Dated Coins

13 posts in this topic

Civil War dated coins have always had a solid collecting base. With the "Sesquicentennial" of the Civil War just around the corner,starting in 2011 and running thru 2015, I believe there will be many more people who will become collectors as well as investors of coins and other collectibles from this era.

That's not to say that I think all Civil War dated coins are a good buy, but I do think that prices on many will be rising. What say you? What do you think are the most undervalued coins among these dates and why?

I think anything gold from that era would be good, the base metal coins, particularly 2-cent pieces may lag since there were just so many of them minted and saved.

I'm not a big fan of the seated liberty design, and I can't afford the gold, so I really don't pay attention to them. I like the 2 and 3 centers, but can't collect everything, so I don't really pay attention to them, either.

There are not a lot of Civil War coins, especially dated after 1861 (except the 1862 gold dollar), to go around. I just built most of a set of Civil War type and gave up on most of the gold denominations. The 3CS, Type 3 coins dated after 1862 are also scarce and expensive. MS63 and above seated Liberty dimes through dollars, that are clean for grade, are hard to find and are expensive at the moment. The 1861 half dime is fairly available.

Too few gold coins to go around and too expensive. The only affordable Civil War half eagle is the 1861. Forget the other Civil War gold denominations graded above XF45, unless you have deep pockets. If you can find nice Civil War coins, buy them, they will be a good investment in the future.

all business strike and proof coins of the civil war era are good buys

especially so the proof gold

and especially more so the 1862 proof quarter eagle

I think that there's a whole lot of potential for these dates. As a matter of fact, one of MY most wanted coins is a proof cameo 1863 IHC. Legend had a 66CAM for sale for $7500 but it was on hold, not that I could have afforded it at the time. :sorry:

The Civil War tokens are actually more interesting than the coins. There are many ways to collect them (e.g. by state, by town, by merchant occupation, political slogans, Lincoln, ect.) They are also generally cheaper although the rarities have gotten pricey.

In 1861 the Union made an effort to keep their economy on the gold standard. Therefore the 1861 gold coins, except for the three dollar gold, are fairly common in grades like EF to low end Unc. for the small gold coins. After you get passed 1861 it gets tougher i some cases a LOT tougher.

I think there is a lot of potential in the coins from that age. I know that I pay a little more attention to a coin from that era. Although I have to say that my next purchase (likely next year) will probably be southern gold instead of civil war era gold.

I think there is a lot of potential in the coins from that age. I know that I pay a little more attention to a coin from that era. Although I have to say that my next purchase (likely next year) will probably be southern gold instead of civil war era gold.

Certainly Southern Minted gold is a natural extension of the era don't you think? ( And vice versa? )

Then again coins like the 61-D Gold Dollar, and 1861-O Double Eagle is having your cake and eating it too :headbang:

Then again coins like the 61-D Gold Dollar, and 1861-O Double Eagle is having your cake and eating it too

I don't know about cake, but it takes a lot of bread to buy either or both of those coins. (shrug)

>Certainly Southern Minted gold is a natural extension of the era don't you think? ( And vice versa? )

I don't know. I mostly think of the era before the civil war but certainly there is a relationship there. I'd love to have both all three southern mints represented but that will definitely take some time and money to find the right ones.

Collecting and investing in Civil War artifacts is huge. I have to believe that many people who collect that type of material would like to own a double eagle from 1861-65 for example.

I would venture to say that when the Sesqui of the Civil War begins in 2011, government will be even larger, the dollar will be worth even less and more people will have an interest in protecting the purchasing power of their money by purchasing gold and other tangible assets of which these Civil War items will fit right in.

I would like to have more coins from the Civil War and early Reconstruction Era but most, with a few exceptions, are quite elusive to find especially gold coins dated after 1861.