• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thoughts please.

9 posts in this topic

Can't tell with these pics very well Ant. I see some spotting and possible haze. Looks PF65-66 to me at least. Doesn't look Cameo either, just sending it for fun??

this was a proof set coin that was toned gold in package. i had never seen a gold like that on just one side :) i like the looks realy.

PR-67. In my view, the limiting factor would be strike weakness (or rather, averageness which ain't good enough for the rarefied upper proof grades). Nice quarter, though (as one would expect any upper half proof quarter to be).

I can't see a star for that kind of toning. But then again I've never owned an NGC star coin in my life, so I probably don't known what I'm talking about. (shrug)

I had a modern proof set where the dime, thinking now it was 1979 Type I, that basically turned the same color, golden on one side, pretty close to the proof Washington you've shown.

I always thought it to be a substance (oil, grease) that was deposited/left on the surface of the coin when minted and it eventually turned in the Gov't holder. I do not know this for a fact because I never broke it out to examine it and sold it along with other sets.

Of course this may have been natural toning, but a type of toning that is not very often seen without that annoying ring of haze.

Good luck, it's unique but not attractive.