• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with indentifying counterstamp on my 1846 W.W.Wilbur Auctioneer token

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to identify the counterstamp on this 1846 Wilbur Auctioneer token.

It has a similar five pedal flower counterstamp close in design to the flower design on my other token which is the 1838 Am I Not A Woman & A Sister token.

I tried to look up the counterstamp and have had no luck. I thought that maybe someone would recognize it.

I am taking some wild guesses here but.....

Could the counterstamp mean that the owner of the counterstamp was for freedom of slaves?

Even though it was on a slave auctioneer token it could have been his own protest against slavery?

It may be a huge stretch.....but maybe there are slave tags that have counterstamps

like this one?

Any help or suggestions of whom to get in touch with would be greatly appreciated.

Stefanie

WWWillburauctiontokenobverse-1.jpgWWWillburauctiontokenreverse-1.jpg

1838AmINotAWomanASisterobverse-1.jpg1838AmINotAWomanASisterreverse-1.jpg

Comparing the two flower designs.

bothtokenflowershapes.jpg

I wouldn't read too much into the similarity of design of the rosettes between the five petal counterstamp and the six petal rosette on the token. The hollow center surrounded by X number of petals is quite common on tokens and on some coins. It is frequently seen on Chinese provincial coins. I see it as just a common design element without special meaning.

I wouldn't read too much into the similarity of design of the rosettes between the five petal counterstamp and the six petal rosette on the token. The hollow center surrounded by X number of petals is quite common on tokens and on some coins. It is frequently seen on Chinese provincial coins. I see it as just a common design element without special meaning.

This is probably true.....The flower shows up on a bath token in Bowers column in this weeks Coin World. I think it's page 62.....

Paul