• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1826 Bust Half NGC MS66*

18 posts in this topic

I had the great fortune to place this coin with a customer this week. Simply the best bust half I have ever handled. The obverse is very proof like and the reverse has some of the nicest luster I have ever seen on a bust half reverse. I was also able to snap a few pictures and I thought Id share.

2vwtpbs.jpg

Since the coin has already sold...

I saw it in hand in the sale it came from, and, while I thought it was extremely attractive, the obverse streak was too distracting for me to fully appreciate it as an MS66.

Mark,

Just out of curiousity: was it a planchet streak, or is it in the toning? Maybe the supossedly PL obverse compensated for that distraction. If you thought the streak was severe, I wouldn't be surprised if the Star was becuase of the PL obverse, rather than for eye appeal. What are your thoughts?

Mark,

Just out of curiousity: was it a planchet streak, or is it in the toning? Maybe the supossedly PL obverse compensated for that distraction. If you thought the streak was severe, I wouldn't be surprised if the Star was becuase of the PL obverse, rather than for eye appeal. What are your thoughts?

I didn't examine it closely but my thought was that the affected area was a grease streak/in the planchet, and not toning. The coin still had loads of eye-appeal, it just wasn't for me.

Originally Posted By: coinman1794
Mark, <br /><br />Just out of curiousity: was it a planchet streak, or is it in the toning? Maybe the supossedly PL obverse compensated for that distraction. If you thought the streak was severe, I wouldn't be surprised if the Star was becuase of the PL obverse, rather than for eye appeal. What are your thoughts?
I didn't examine it closely but my thought was that the affected area was a grease streak/in the planchet, and not toning. The coin still had loads of eye-appeal, it just wasn't for me.

I see. It does seem to be a grease mark in the planchet form my vantage point. Thanks!

Outstanding coin, that is, without the grease mark. I would think the grease mark would keep it out of the star category.

Thanks for showing us this pretty Bustie.

Outstanding coin, that is, without the grease mark. I would think the grease mark would keep it out of the star category.

Thanks for showing us this pretty Bustie.

That's why I was asking Mark about it. If the obverse is Prooflike, it may have gotten the Star for that reason, rather than for eye appeal. If a PL obverse were the reason for the Star, the streak wouldn't affect it.

That grease mark is a fantastic attestment to originality. I absolutely and unreservedly love the coin with the star.

Clean off the streak, and it becomes just another plain-jane MS-66 - or worse, a white MS-67 :sick: .

By the way, for those who are not terribly familiar with the Overton series, 1826 O-104a is one of the excellent choices for type. It is a die marriage that comes reliably well struck and attractive. Look at the curl that goes over the ear, and then look at the curl on it's right, extending back to the edge of the cap - the individual strands are delineated! And the clasp is almost always fully edged.

Thanks for sharing this joyous numismatic celebration!

That is beautiful. No other way to describe it.

Dig into your thesaurus a little. :baiting:

Outstanding, superb, amazing, superlative, wonderful, and spectacular!