• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many incorrect statements can you find about "fresh material"...

24 posts in this topic

When I think of fresh material, I think of somewhat uncommon coins that haven't been on the market recently, that are somewhat more difficult to find, and are original and untampered with. These could be from an old time collection that was just broken up. Not fresh material is the stuff that stays in dealers cases - common, dipped out stuff no one really cares about.

I would say that "Fresh Material" might mean, for example, Shield nickels from 1872-1876 in higher grades, or 1890's IHC's, Buff's 1927-1934, late 1890 Morgans,

all in higher grades of upper AU-mid MS, not usually seen very often. These coins are plentiful but just not in great demand so they are kept inhand. That would be at least refreshing to me to see this coins in daily auctions. JMO.

Jim

To me "fresh" material is collectible coins which have been sequestered in someone's private collection for many years, coins which have been out of the public eye for a generation or so. For example, I just had some Peace dollars which were sent in to be slabbed by NGC and PCGS that had been in a Capital plastics holder, in a dresser drawer for 30+ years. These were coins that were bought raw from several coin shops back when I lived in LA during the mid-1970's.

These Peace dollars are not high grades, but I don't think that that matters. They range from AU58 to MS64 and were bought raw for ridiculously low prices, by today's standards. Some of these coins has even toned in pastel colors, while being raw in a Capital holder, in their holder cardboard box, in a oak dresser for 30+ years. However, they are now seeing the light of day in a registry set after all these years..

to my minds eye fresh material are coins that have been off the market for a decade or so

in todays market the term fresh usually means the coin has been off the market for 6 months up to a year

across the street is the wrong side of the tracks . My way of thinking would be coins that were collected and not purchased back in the day

and handed down for several generations and the last taking it to a BM shop to sell or get it appraised that would be fresh to the market also the contents of a safety deposit box up for auction or estate sale auctions where the coins don't go through a dealers hand.

THEN again if you want fresh coins the US Mint is the only game in town for truly fresh US

coins

could be newly made or obtained:

or

inexperienced; green; callow: Two hundred fresh recruits arrived at the training camp.

'Fresh material' is dealerspeak, of primarily marketing value.
I disagree. If it were of primarily "marketing value" I wouldn't hear and see so many dealers get excited about the prospect about buying (not just offering for sale) "fresh material".

I knew a few dealers who claimed to have “fresh material” all the time…what they were actually saying was, it was “fresh” to them, but not to the hobby.

Edit: I ended up referring to these types of dealers as the “Roseanne Dealers” as in what Roseanne Connor might have said on the TV show to her co-owners after opening up the loose meat sandwich shop and trying to sell the customers old meat. “Tell them what they want to here, they don’t know any better anyways.”

I would say 10 to 20 years, but as some have said, it's not of much relevance to anything. I hate when some large dealers, particularly those who typically don't give long descriptions, will say nothing about the coin other than that it's a "fresh coin." Whatever...I say!

Rightly or wrongly, many dealers also include the requirement that coins not be over-graded/maxed out in order to qualify as "fresh".

I have seen that usage of "fresh" as well--the idea behind it being that a coin has only been through the grading service once, and has not had the chance to be played with and maxed out.

Fresh to me implies more than 10 years off the market.

Gentlemen, this definition needs considerable expansion, I think. A hoard of generic 1998 proof sets could qualify, and based on how others use the term "fresh", I'm not sure this is what they would want.

Go for it James. :) The bottom line is that, like a number of other terms used in our hobby, "fresh" is ambiguous and means different things to different people

How many incorrect statements can you find about "fresh material"...

None. There is no industry accepted definition of the term 'fresh' so there can be no incorrect statements about it.

In reality, in dealer-speak, fresh means I haven't showed you this coin yet.

to me, "fresh material" is the stuff I buy from overseas auctions, dealers and small collectors on a weekly basis. It has been sitting in safes or coin cabinets or someone's drawer for a long time, and i'm thrilled to get it into my collection.

The bottom line is that, like a number of other terms used in our hobby, "fresh" is ambiguous

And probably deliberately so. Something tells me the industry would not want a strict definition of the term "fresh". For many dealers it is like the quote from Humpty Dumpty, "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean, nothing more or less."

OK. Now lets skip ahead 20 or so years. I now have been posting pics of my busies for over 20 years on these here forums, in the public eye. These same Busties have been off the market for 20+ years.

Now I want to sell. You guys will have seen them, been seeing them, lusting over them, or whatever, for more than 20 years. Maybe you even look at them everyday. Now they are on the market. Are the coins considered fresh? :baiting: