• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poking "fun" at NGS

12 posts in this topic

If anyone out there has coins certified by other than the top 2 companies, NGC and PCGS, my guess is that you will be pleasantly surprised as to just how inferior most other services are. As an experiment, I bought these 2 (Numismatic Grading Service) coins off of E-Bay several months back because they were "cheap". (Believe me, I didn't spend much for these 2 losers)...but the grading by NGS is comical. I bought them because "I had to see for myself" how truly off the mark NGS is. Anyway, take a look and have a good "I TOLD YA SO" on RI AL. Now I know that the Walkers from 1921 and earlier need to be graded on a slightly different standard (not sure where I learned that) but the guys who graded these must have been smoking the funny stuff. Just wanted to share the benefits of my lesson with you all. Have a terrific day. RI AL

1916o.jpg

1916r.jpg

Oh then…in light of what was erroneously applied to these evenly worn Walking Liberties, what numerical grade do they really deserve?

I’m not attempting to hi-jack your thread RI-AL, I’d just like to see what the consensus is on these otherwise nicely circulated Walkers.

>If there weren't folks falling prey to this kind of predatory scam, it would be laughable.

Very true. It's funny for us who are knowledgeable. Sadly, lots of people can be taken in by such junk.

Conder101...you are most welcome to use the scan.

In answer to the questions about the walking libs, I would grade them Good and VG, a long haul from NGS' VF and XF. I spent very little $ on these. I think I was the only bidder as a matter of fact because the scan showed that the coins were obviously inferior to the designated grades. The "smart" bidders were scared away. I bought them mainly to educate myself about the scammy slabbers, but am looking for a decent Obverse mint mark example of the WL. Want to include one in my type set. Maybe a nice VF or XF...these suckers (certified by a REAL company) are hard to find.

RI AL