• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If as a cataloger, I feel the CAC sticker is unwarranted, what should I do?

15 posts in this topic

I am cataloging a high-grade coin that, while wholly original and somewhat attractive, is probably a little deficient in grade from the technical standpoint. Should I simply pretend the sticker does not exist (so that sight-unseen bidders aren't misled by the notion of the coin being "PQ"), or specifically point out that the sticker is not warranted (which may provide unnecessary negative connotation)? Your opinions, please!

On a side note, I have been disappointingly unimpressed so far by what coins have been receiving CAC stickers. Admittedly, it may be simply because so many more-deserving coins don't have stickers, having never been submitted. As ridiculous as it may sound, I think there will at some point need to be yet another opinion rendered as to the validity of the CAC sticker for specific coins.

"this coin has been graded by XXX as MS-YY. After careful examination this cataloger fells that the grade is possibly warranted even though it shows some deficiencies such as (blank) . And as a matter of full disclosure the slab has a green CAC on it.""

As ridiculous as it may sound, I think there will at some point need to be yet another opinion rendered as to the validity of the CAC sticker for specific coins.
lol How many stickers fit on a slab anways? (shrug)

I think I would mention everything that you know about the coin - it's grade, it's stickered, and that you feel that the coin is on the lower end of the grade...

I am cataloging a high-grade coin that, while wholly original and somewhat attractive, is probably a little deficient in grade from the technical standpoint. Should I simply pretend the sticker does not exist (so that sight-unseen bidders aren't misled by the notion of the coin being "PQ"), or specifically point out that the sticker is not warranted (which may provide unnecessary negative connotation)? Your opinions, please!

On a side note, I have been disappointingly unimpressed so far by what coins have been receiving CAC stickers. Admittedly, it may be simply because so many more-deserving coins don't have stickers, having never been submitted. As ridiculous as it may sound, I think there will at some point need to be yet another opinion rendered as to the validity of the CAC sticker for specific coins.

Not ridiculous in so much as a natural evolution. I mentioned this much earlier and gave the reasons for another opinion of CAC etc. At some point there will be needs to sticker other stickers because " graders make mistakes etc". Since you can't hve too many stickers on one slab then you will need a company that vailidates the CAC sticker and has a database of these validations. You will just pay a monthly or a yearly fee to access this database and see the approvals etc

James, put the CAC sticker aside for a moment.... If there were no sticker and you disagreed with the assigned grade, would you say so in your description? Your answer to my question shouldn't change based on the presence of a sticker. You'd merely be disagreeing with two expert opinions rather than one. ;)

James, put the CAC sticker aside for a moment.... If there were no sticker and you disagreed with the assigned grade, would you say so in your description?

The problem is that the consignor pursued the sticker in order to increase the value (however you define that) of his collection.

Very seldom do I mention disagreement with an assigned grade, since it is just an opinion anyway, but I will try to discuss issues that may have an impact on the coin's market value, whether up or down.

I guess it maybe boils down to whether or not the sticker is one factor of market value? If I mention the sticker, then that is tantamount to endorsing it. If I ignore it, then that implies it wasn't sticker-worthy, and therefore not premium-worthy.

Originally Posted By: MarkFeld
James, put the CAC sticker aside for a moment.... If there were no sticker and you disagreed with the assigned grade, would you say so in your description?

The problem is that the consignor pursued the sticker in order to increase the value (however you define that) of his collection.

Very seldom do I mention disagreement with an assigned grade, since it is just an opinion anyway, but I will try to discuss issues that may have an impact on the coin's market value, whether up or down.

I guess it maybe boils down to whether or not the sticker is one factor of market value? If I mention the sticker, then that is tantamount to endorsing it. If I ignore it, then that implies it wasn't sticker-worthy, and therefore not premium-worthy.

The consignor also probably prefers that the coin be in its present holder "in order to increase the value", too. You should mention the assigned grade and the presence of a CAC sticker, because those are relevant to many potential bidders. Beyond that, treat the sticker (opinion) the same as you do the assigned grade/grading label (opinion), and also either including your personal assessment (or not). ;)I think your question/dilemma about CAC is misplaced. It appears that the real issue is when or whether a cataloger should publicly comment on/disagree with whatever (other) grading opinions accompany the coin. And if so, how best to do that. Of course the answer to that probably requires that you walk a very fine line. :devil:By the way, I feel that I have a similar dilemma when describing consigned coins -I need to balance the interests of my consignor/clients with those of my potential buyer/clients.

I can't wait until 'stickers' become like 'chop-marks'......

Slabs are going to be covered in them and the appearance of the coin will have to be imagined.....

Paul

Well, the first thing you need to do is forget about ¾ of the negative things you’ve ever read about concerning the CAC and then to only take into account about half of all the positive hype you seen and heard, apply that remaining knowledge to what you already possess, click you heels together three times, then wish you were back in Kansas.

It is just another layer that comes in Green/Gold and is applied without much fan fair and should not be touted as anything more than, “Look, we agree” meaning the company that applied the sticker, no one else. That opinion should not be inclusive of the original grader nor should it be of the catalogue description writer…but as a compensated writer, your descriptions must be accurate and concise, so if the holder has a CAC sticker, it is only fair to all parties involved that it is described as such.

Agree or not with the little Green Bean, it must still be taken into account and at least mentioned.

I have always been of a mind that says when you got a pig it doesn't matter how many ribbons you put on it it's still a pig.

The James I have read and conversed with would have no problem finding a way to dress the pig so as the client got his true value for the pig/coin..

I like the way DLRC describes the coins in their auctions. Regardless of the grade on the holder or a green football they use a 1 to 5 star for the "eye appeal" of the piece. I have found that I look for the 5 star coins in their auctions before I look at the grade or green football. I am yet to receive a ugly coin when I purchase a 5 Star coin from DLRC. I am not saying they are better graders etc. but I guess the second or even third eye does help in getting correctly graded coin!

I like the way DLRC describes the coins in their auctions. Regardless of the grade on the holder or a green football they use a 1 to 5 star for the "eye appeal" of the piece. I have found that I look for the 5 star coins in their auctions before I look at the grade or green football. I am yet to receive a ugly coin when I purchase a 5 Star coin from DLRC. I am not saying they are better graders etc. but I guess the second or even third eye does help in getting correctly graded coin!
In your last sentence, did you mean "Correctly graded coin" or eye appealing coin? hm

"this coin has been graded by XXX as MS-YY. After careful examination this cataloger feels that the grade is not warranted/low end for the grade and this is why..................

AND as a matter of full disclosure the slab has a green CAC on it.""

Depends on your point of view.

As a bidder I would want you to disclose any deficiencies.

As a consignor, I likely would pull the coin and not send any more to your particular auction house.