• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would you eliminate first? The Cent or the paper Dollar?

Which would you rather see eliminated first?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather see eliminated first?

11 posts in this topic

If we eliminated the cent, then the home shopping channels and sleazebay sellers wouldn't be able to hype the following:

2009 Lincoln, MS70 Satin Finish, First Strike for $79.95.

2009 Lincoln, MS70 Business Strike in Third World holders for $149.95.

2-coin 100-year set of the 1909 Lincoln, AU/MS & 2009 Lincoln, MS70 Satin Finish First Strike for $199.95.

3-coin, 150-year set of the 1909 IHC, AU/MS, 1909 Lincoln AU/MS and the 2009 Lincoln MS70 Satin Finish First Strike for the once-in-a-lifetime, unbelievably low price of just $299.95. NOTE: The IHC was first struck in 1859, but you don't get one in the set. We don't tell you that, but it makes our offer sound better.

Plus, you can compound this with the hype that will go along with, "Get your dollar bills now before they stop making them!" and "The elimination of the paper dollar is making the uncirculated dollar coins worth their weight in gold!"

Chris

The United States is the only "first world" country that issues its unit currency as paper. Most of the other countries are now issuing 2-unit currencies as coins (think Toonies in Canada) while the European Union issues a 5-euro coin.

My full commentary about paper versus coins can be read here.

Scott :hi:

I still say the only one that should be eliminated is the one that the general public has never in the past wanted, does not now, and has shown no sign of wanting to use in the future...the dollar coin. But of the given options I chose the cent.)

It is time for the US Congress (and the mint) to stop trying to stuff a totally unwanted coin down the throats of the electorate.

I voted to eliminate the cent first because if the dollar goes, the $20 bill I have wrapped around that stack ones will get awfully lonely.

The cent - it is no longer worth producing. Its value is so small as to be token, it costs more to produce than its worth, and no one uses it. The dollar bill continues to be a mainstay of economy, and I don't think the public in general wants to use a dollar coin in place of the paper money (an ironic situation, viewed in light of the historical controversy between paper and coin ).

How many billions and billions of cents are lying around in people's home? Lots!

We can easily get by without new cents being produced. Not the dollar bill, though! It's as American as baseball and apple pie!

I went with the dollar note as it can be eliminated immediately (We are already striking plenty of dollar coins and we can ramp up the two dollar blls to replace them with no major difficulty.). I would allow the cent to run through the end of 2009 for the four commem cents and then it should also be eliminated.

No question, the cent. It is just a nuisance to me.

I would also get rid of the nickel and dime, leaving the quarter as the smallest coin. Later, add $5 coins to the mixture, and get rid of $1, $2 and $5 bills.

I went with the dollar note as it can be eliminated immediately (We are already striking plenty of dollar coins and we can ramp up the two dollar blls to replace them with no major difficulty.). I would allow the cent to run through the end of 2009 for the four commem cents and then it should also be eliminated.

These were my thoughts exactly, and I see Conder has already beat me to it.