• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 bust half with some color

15 posts in this topic

It's currently in an NGC AU-53 holder. It also shows a paradox of coin photography. In ordinary lighting this appears kinda dull but when you shine light on it (even a typical grader's light) it does show great color. So what would be the "correct" look for such a coin? Darker representing what it looks like if you were on your couch with no special lamps or what it looks like when lit with light?

1832_halfdollar_1.jpg

1832_halfdollar_2.jpg

I like it! (thumbs u

Ditto. And this is the "true" look of the coin under lighting.Beautiful coin and pics! (thumbs u

In ordinary lighting this appears kinda dull but when you shine light on it (even a typical grader's light) it does show great color. So what would be the "correct" look for such a coin? Darker representing what it looks like if you were on your couch with no special lamps or what it looks like when lit with light?

This is typical with a lot of toned coins, in bad lighting or a small amount of lighting the coin looks dark or blackish toned. But when any light hits the surfaces the color pops out at you. So your picture is the best way to show the true look of the coin. Whenever your studying or evaluating a coin you put the coin under some light to see the luster and hidden contact marks. From your photo looks as if there's still some mint luster around the periphery. (thumbs u A very nice looking original coin! I love it :applause:

This coin is the same way. Head-on it looks slate gray, but if you turn it slightly you get colors like this. Phil did a great job of capturing them.

1837REHalfTrueViewMedium.jpg

Firstly, I like the coin.

Now, color....

When you look at a coin, you rotate it in the light, and your eyes are moving incredibly fast to very fixated at differnt angles which ware always changing.

SO no two dimensional image will accurately reflect a coin. For those who dissagree, I am sorry to say, I do not agree with you.

Some photos are more accurate, but it depends much on the substance of the coin, and what layers and colors it has, and the variation of how these appear under different angles of lighting, looking and the type of light used (daylight, plain incandescent, ott light...etc..)

What I try to do, myself, is to capture the PREDOMINATE color and substance of the coin. I'm an amateur, so the quality of my photos leaves a lot to be desired, but I TRY.

Photograph the coin head on, photograph it with different angles of lighting, hold the coin in your hand under a light, and rotate it until you see what you want to see and shoot the photo. Just some thoughts. Show the one that you think best suits the coin, not what stimulates your desire, try to capture what MOST of it is.

This is a judgement call tha only you can make.

PCGS photos are fictional, in my mind. They make the coins look like cartoon characters, capturing the "BEST" colors, but mis-representing the coin. OK, I shouldn't make a blanket statement. SOME PCGS photos are fictional. How's that. Check out my 1836 in my registry set. PCGS photographed it, it looks like a cartoon. I should just put my own photo in. The coin DOES look like the PCGS photo, but ONLY at a very narrow range of visual angle and lighting angle. This is not a true representation, in my mind. The only reason I use their photo is that I haven't been able to capture the best of this coin, i.e., the "most" of what it is, because of my photography skills (lacking) + I don't have much energy any longer to fiddle much with these things.

I hope all this verbage said something of value to you.

PS, I understand your photo because I've studied and photographed these coins in abundance, and for me, your photo is probably a good representation of the coin...ME KNOWING that if you tilt the coin another way, or the lighting is changed, all those colors could dissapear. That's fine, that's part of the physics of toning. Plain and simple.

I like it! (thumbs u

Ditto. And this is the "true" look of the coin under lighting.Beautiful coin and pics! (thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Thanks everyone. In this case, no angles were harmed in the capture of this coin. It was a straight down shot (90 degrees to the coin). I agree that tilting a coin and then correcting the perspective is a bit more questionable than just shooting light at it. So I do think it's a fair picture but at the same time we don't normally look at a coin with a lot of light at it except when grading and picture-taking.

I've had this coin for a few years now. Picked it up from a board member on ebay. I think of it as a coin with some color but not a "premium" color.

Really pretty coin. It is especially tough to catch the colors in these NGC holders. It is also interesting to note how the toning turns to black, even if it is in deed color, depending how the light hits the coin, making it even more difficult. Here is my example that for at least the obverse, closely matches your coin. It is very difficult to catch the complete circle of color:

100_1651.jpg

100_1652.jpg