• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Teletrade descriptions!

8 posts in this topic

Virtually as struck

Nearly mark-free surfaces

Nearly full mint luster

Nearly full gleaming mint luster

Nearly full mint brilliance

Fairly well struck

Fairly well struck finer detail, but Monticello appears textured as a result of heavy die wear

Modest shallow ticks and scuffs

Moderately hazed surfaces

Pleasing visual appeal

Thick, crystal white frosted devices

Heavily frosted engraved features

Crisp heavily frosted devices

Sharply contrasting heavily frosted devices

Ample die polish evident at devices

Glittering deeply reflective fields

Essentially perfect

Fundamentally flawless

Marvelous eye appeal

Lovely eye appeal

27_laughing.gif Can anyone explain what these discriptions are saying? How about a "nearly rare" coin! 27_laughing.gif I think I need to take some time away from the hobby. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

In virtual reality these are fairly well polished, heavily frosted, sales pitches. Essentially they give a vague or rather a nearly full description of what you could receive. Fundamentally speaking.

Not Teletrade bashing, just playing with words. tonofbricks.gif

Hi Reid

Have you ever seen that episode of Stargate SG1 where the guy is asking the director, "Why isn't this a real show?" And the response was, "It's not a real show Bob!

One or two words in each description just strike me as funny. Just like the TV show! 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Hi King,

Sorry, I don`t really watch much TV. But I can still relate !

Seems like a lot of sugar coating to me . Still I may try one or two of them in my next sale on e-bay to see if it makes a difference one or the other.:D

There's a seller on ebay and all his coins are described as "fabulous!" 27_laughing.gif When I can't make heads or tails from a sellers description, what am I bidding on? And then there are sellers who say the same thing about every coin they're selling. Or they call every coin, "rare." The real twister is, people bid on and buy up all this stuff. They get it in the mail, don't have a clue what they have and turn around and post positive feedback. They must be filling the holes in some coin album.

The thing about all these superlatives is, which one ranks above or below the other. No one has a clue about this and neither do I, Which is a better coin? A marvalous one or the lovely one? 27_laughing.gif Coins have become like selling beanie babies. 27_laughing.gif.

Leo

Having just seen the descriptions they gave my latest batch of coins, I wonder who writes their descriptions. One of the coins is a dog among dogs, yet it got a really nice description.

Having just seen the descriptions they gave my latest batch of coins, I wonder who writes their descriptions. One of the coins is a dog among dogs, yet it got a really nice description.

That is the main thing that bothers me about TeleTrade, their descriptions make all of the coins sound great, but when you look at the images of the coins a lot of them are dogs IMO. I have gotten some really nice coins from them, but even with the images, sometimes you can't really tell what the coin will look like until it arrives.

John

I'd also like to add, the word, "nearly" tells me that, "it's not." So thanks for the early warning signs! 27_laughing.gif

Who writes them? My guess is, the guy who sent the coins into Teletrade. Because it seems like the style of descriptions change with the type of auctions. Binion dollars, toned coin auctions and the sort.

I must give them credit as they do auction some of the greatest coins and for their custumer service. They have always been helpful when I need to know more about a particular coin or two.

Leo