• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COIN ART

16 posts in this topic

Coin Art - Hand Painted - Unique

* From the "Districto Federale Da Vinci"

* In the 1980's and 1990's, visitors to the main flea market in Mexico City purchased coins from a Mexican heroin addict with incredible miniature scenes on them. The money from the sale of this art work supported his addiction. A wealthy European art collector was so impressed that he paid for air fare and a scholarship to a Paris art school. The addict cleaned up and was doing quite well, until on a trip to Marseilles, he reverted back to his old habit, dropped out of art school, and went back to the streets of Mexico City again and resumed his old lifestyle. Within a few years, he died of an overdose.

* This is a true story, but we do not remember his name as he never signed any of his work. Perhaps some of his eBay customers do.

* Each painting is absolutely unique, and no more will ever be made by him

* A purple mountain scene on a 1980 20 peso coin

I just saw this on e-bay and thought it was cool. No affiliation.

63552.jpg.7c3d6aeb235ccd115ed99a1f3d7594f6.jpg

63553.jpg.e3f884119e6199721a8d0b15f074f9c4.jpg

Now, that is a colorized coin that I wouldn't mind owning................. purple mountains majesty above the fruited plain.

Chris

Awful - Looks like "Thomas Kinkade" or some paint by number mess.

You wouldn't criticize the convict who could engrave the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin, now would you? (tsk)

The guy found his niche, one that I had never heard of nor imagined. I thought that it was kind of cool. (thumbs u

Awful - Looks like "Thomas Kinkade" or some paint by number mess.

Not bad looking. Bob Ross on a 50 Cent sized coin?

pretty little coins

I was thinking, why wouldn’t the addict make use of the coin to buy more drugs and to then find another small canvas in which to apply his skill?

By the 90’s inflation in Mexico was rampant and the economy about ready to collapse. With the introduction of the Nuevo (one) Peso, the Gov’t stepped in and basically lopped off 3 - zero’s 000’s from inflated prices in hopes of a correction.

In 1993 it would have taken 50 each of these 20 Peso coins to equal 1 Nuevo Peso

(Old pesos were exchanged at the rate of 1000 old pesos = 1 new peso)

So, with these facts into the equation, the 20 Peso coin the addict painted on was about worthless, so it is possible. The addicts that I have encountered would be in no condition to paint a landscape onto an object of this size, so although the story is plausible, I feel it highly unlikely.

Sounds like a Mythbuster

Anything is possible, I knew a girl in college that was suffering from heroin addition that was an incredible artist, she was skilled with hand drawings of people and paintings of landscapes. But anyways, that's some beautiful artwork to be at such a small scale. :cool:

For those that have the talent to be able to express themselves like this, should be respected. Those without talent are easy to critisize. I think it looks nice!

OK...I might be cynical, but I don't believe the story, and the painting is Chinese knockoff quality at best. Go to Alibaba and you can get bids on these by the thousands, all "original works of art."