• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Collect Piedfort/Piefort Coins?

16 posts in this topic

Anyone collect these?

I've just started to look at these. There doesn't appear to be too many countries that strike these "coins".

The 1986 Statue of Liberty 100F from france seems to be the most common one arond. They are for sale non-stop at prices usually in the $6-$10 range.

Is there any book on the history of these coins and perhaps a catalog of them (pre-1900 mostly).

Here are two I thought were interesting:

A 1975 50F from france. 74 minted, according to the seller it weights about 3.5 ounces. I liked the "mirror image" of it. Rather unique looking. The selling price of $2000 kept me away from it. Catalogs at $1500.

france_50f_piedfort_o.jpgfrance_50f_piedfort_r.jpg

Ths 1979 5F from france had a mintage of 300. A beautiful design that looks great in gold. I was somewhat interested in it, but the seller ended the auction early.

france_5f_piedfort_o.jpgfrance_5f_piedfort_r.jpg

I thought about getting one of those massive gold 50 Francs at one time but I could never find one with not much premium over melt. Now that gold is up, it is out of the question. frown.gif

Greg -

I own a couple of these but that's about it. They are both French essai coins. I only buy them if the design appeals to me and have no intention of ever trying to collect them all. Some of them - especially the older ones can be quite expensive. At least well beyond my range. The mintage numbers on some of these is under 10 with the majority being under 100. They are also minted by several countries - primarily Europe.

I have seen them in various metals but the golds are the only ones that have appealed to me so far. I do not know of any books off the top of my head but am resonably certain they do exist. Should'nt be too hard to find out.

I considered getting a 1977 French piefort (silver 5 francs?), but even the $50 price tag made me decide against it.

The only one I'm considering is the 1996 silver piefort version of the Canadian $2 coin.

Perhaps you would like the 2000 Queen Mum piedfort? It's like SBA and Shriver rolled into one.

Now there's a winning combination!

-JamminJ thumbsup2.gif

Perhaps you would like the 2000 Queen Mum piedfort? It's like SBA and Shriver rolled into one.

qmum5piedfort.JPG

ACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the Canadian twoonie piedfort for sale cheap and forgot to up my bid on it. 893frustrated.gif

I've got a couple of the French Statue Of Liberty Piedforts in silver, but that's it. So I wouldn't say I am a collector of these issues. They are pretty cool, though, as far as commemorative strikes go.

I just purchased one from Laos. It is a 1952 20c and it's got a mintage of 104 pieces.

Also got one from 1946 France. It's a 2 Franc piefort pattern and I believe its mintage is 100 pieces.

I'd love to buy a US coin with a mintage of 100 pieces for $30, which is what I paid for each of these.

I'd love to buy a US coin with a mintage of 100 pieces for $30, which is what I paid for each of these.

True, but I think the collector base is a bit larger in the USA than in Laos.

I like the coins, though!

-JamminJ