• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885O Morgan What are these lines.....

6 posts in this topic

Just picked this up recently.....1885O NGC MS63

The reverse has cracks/breaks(?)... N-T in UNITED....T-E in STATES....O-R in IGWT....The mint mark looks really strange and the D in DOLLAR is pretty weak....Would any of this constitute a VAM designation?...I know little about such things...

3202850-018O.jpg3202850-018R.jpg

1885ocloseup.jpg

There is nothing needed to "constitute" a VAM for a particular coin. All morgan and peace dollars are VAMs, it's just a matter of figuring out which one it is.

That said, check out www.VAMworld.com to see if you can find one for this coin.

Your '85-O Morgan is nice for the grade. I am not a VAM person so I can not comment on that but the coin is pretty well struck for an "O" mint Morgan and is very clean for the grade also. The '85-O Morgans that I have seen and owned are mostly poorly struck and yours is better than most for that date, MM. The fields are pretty clean also. Nice coin.

The "O" mint mark and the "D" beneath it both look poorly struck but look fine other than that. I have seen other 1880's era "O" mint dollars which had weakly struck "O"'s and looked just as bad. Pull up some images on your computer and you will find some that are weak like yours. The New Orleans mint was noted for getting worn dies and not punching the "O" into the dies well or oriented properly. I have see others with wavy "O"s like yours as well, probably from improperly hardened punches.

Your coin looks as though the "O" has been hit by another coin as well because there is a ding in the middle of the letter.