• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a really nice toned early commem from a really underappreciated series

13 posts in this topic

a superb gem NGC ms66 1952 washington carver

the coin is actually an ms67 on the reverse with a really nice ms66 obverse

the lustre is BOOMING through the toning!

in person sight seen there are rose toned rims

the scan is not close to the eye appeal of this coin in person sight seen

much better in person sight seen as the rims are rose not dark brown like the scan shows

but all we got on here are the scans!

michael

309841-52washcarver.jpg.91d8a776e38aa873b7598bb23504354d.jpg

That's one of " In the eye of the beholder" coins. I personally think the toning is ugly and if it were mine I would dip it. That type of toning hides the true coin in my opinion. If offered to me for purchase, I would pass.

I am a white fan, even if dipped, because the detail of the design is much more easily seen. I'm sure many will disagree with me but to each his own.

The commems were produced for their designs. Improper storage causes toning like that and doesn't help the appearance any.

I like the coin. So many in this series come blah white or toned so dark that they are even uglier than when they are white.

The 1952 P-mint GWC comes with the best color of any of the dates/mints of this series. For some reason you can frequently find these with attractive color. Not great color, but just nice original attractive color. Most of the other dates in this series tone up REALLY ugly.

I've posted these before, the top one is mine (NGC MS65*) and is better looking in person with an easier to see rainbow and the bottom one (NGC MS66) was snatched up before I had a chance to buy it. It is owned by another forum member.

1952gwc.jpg

52wc66.jpg52wc66r.jpg

The only way that I could EVER buy one of these is toned the way you guys are showing! Great coins Michael and Greg. Most of these that I come across are dipped out and look like [!@#%^&^]. Lots of badly struck coins with tons of bagmarks too. I like the BTW tomed as well. A couple of other designs that are bla unless toned are the York and the Ohio. I've seen some of those that were quite pretty.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot, and here's a BTW for you.

310894-1946%20btw%20obv.jpg310895-1946%20btw%20rev.jpg

I wish I had a better picture of this coin because the toning on this coin is just great and I can't seem to capture it in a photo! The obverse has a ring of iridescent light gold along the rim that fades into iridescent light violet. The reverse is toned in iridescent gold with a thin ring of red/orange along the rim. When you look at the coin under a light the combination of the colors and it's outstanding luster is spectacular!

John

Wow! You can really see the brightness of that coin beaming through, and that just a photograph! Great coin!

How come I come across so many ugly ones? frown.gif

Hoot