• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase:81S Morgan

11 posts in this topic

Couldn't pass it up for the price. This is the sellers photos. A scuff on the chin and a couple marks on the reverse.Anything that I missed? Grade opinions? Thanks for looking.

63351.jpg.003d2649c63750e137cfb0207e54e7dc.jpg

63352.jpg.f55d77e9feb356fa5a52315e76f2cf52.jpg

I'm gonna have to agree with Chad as the pics look somewhat subdued. Hard to grade when this happens. Hope it looks as good in hand. Good luck!

Well,for $22 bucks I'm not expecting all that much. But if there's anything really blatant I'll return it. There were other coins by the same seller with the same type photos. There was a really nice 93 morgan. Out of my league though.

Well,well,I am very relieved. I got the 81S from my original post in the mail today and it is nicer than the pictures. Plenty of frost and semi-PL. I should have enough 81S's but I guess now I'll see if I can put together a good MS 64 Roll. About halfway there already.

On another note.I paid good money for the the 80S in the picture below. It actually looks to me like a PCGS slab? The coin came in one of those square plastic things with(this is important) tape residue all over it.

So,when I got it I noticed it was pretty scruffy on the obverse and when I turned it over it was not PL at all like the picture shows.Not even close.Then looking closer I noticed none of the marks matched either and there were more of them than should be there.

I e-mailed the seller and voiced my concerns. He said "I wouldn't deceive anyone,blah,blah". He went on to say the coin was never out of it's holder.Gotcha!! And that the local coin dealer took the picture.HA!what a joke.I'll see if I can get good pics of what I actually got.

Luckily, he will accept the coin back.Classic bait and switch. Would have been nice to get the real thing,though

Something about PL and DMPL Morgans.

63832.jpg.422f14ebcff959de06d7fed618702e2b.jpg

63833.jpg.5b14003adb01ca726a09cb9f50225768.jpg

Well that didn't take long. In case I've confused everyone, the 81S Morgan in the original post is very,very,nice. I'm happy with it.

Not so the 80 S in my follow up. These two are pictures of the 80 S Morgan that I actually received in the mail. Don't know why it looks black&white. It's a Proof like on the Obverse not DMPL. I mean didn't he think I'd notice? Thanks for looking

63836.jpg.51982e21513197c959ba208cc3cdc302.jpg

63837.jpg.d8757e5f7edb325e48c2e318e53e7ce9.jpg

Yeah, two or three years ago, I had a creep in Tennessee do the same to me with an 1890CC. The photos on eBay were that of a solid 64, but the one I received was low-end AU at best, had totally different markings and would probably be bodybagged for improper cleaning. At first, he reneged on giving me a refund, and I told him that he was committing a federal offense using the U.S. Postal Service and interstate commerce to commit a fraud. He replied that, being a judge, he WAS the law! I replied. "Great! Then I can have you kicked off the bench as well." I finally agreed to leave him positive feedback if he gave me a full refund plus reimburse me for the return shipping. Once I got the funds, I left him negative feedback. He contacted me, irritated that I had broken my promise. I told him that I lied, but at least I didn't commit a crime. He tried leaving me negative feedback, but he forgot to uncheck the positive feedback circle. In the end, he made himself sound like a little sissy crying to his mommy that a little girl had just beat him up.

Chris

Well,well,I am very relieved. I got the 81S from my original post in the mail today and it is nicer than the pictures. Plenty of frost and semi-PL. I should have enough 81S's but I guess now I'll see if I can put together a good MS 64 Roll. About halfway there already.

On another note.I paid good money for the the 80S in the picture below. It actually looks to me like a PCGS slab? The coin came in one of those square plastic things with(this is important) tape residue all over it.

So,when I got it I noticed it was pretty scruffy on the obverse and when I turned it over it was not PL at all like the picture shows.Not even close.Then looking closer I noticed none of the marks matched either and there were more of them than should be there.

I e-mailed the seller and voiced my concerns. He said "I wouldn't deceive anyone,blah,blah". He went on to say the coin was never out of it's holder.Gotcha!! And that the local coin dealer took the picture.HA!what a joke.I'll see if I can get good pics of what I actually got.

Luckily, he will accept the coin back.Classic bait and switch. Would have been nice to get the real thing,though

Something about PL and DMPL Morgans.

I think he was really being a POS..

I believe if you click here you wilkl see that he was looking for suckers that would have paid quite a bit more trying to cherry pick him... Or someone may have told him that he could get more as a top 100 VAM

I had someone on E BAY try a bait and switch on me with a Bust Half . I had started to collect again about 7 months ago after a 20 year break. I saw a nice uncertified Bust Half for sale that was “cheap”. Ok I should have known better but I was not familiar with all the scams on E Bay. What this seller would do is take pictures from The Anaconda Coin web site and use them in his Auctions. After the Auction was closed he would then go out to E Bay or Bid Ville and look for a similar coin. So this insufficiently_thoughtful_person left a nice paper trail. Once the seller put the other coin in the mail he committed Postal Fraud. I did get my money back from Pay Pal immediately. This guy did this scam to 7 or 8 other people. Another buyer also caught him and called Postal Authorities. I will now only buy raw coins from one E Bay seller- Saratoga Springs Coins , I like the Auction Houses better. There is so much fraud on E Bay , especially with the self slabbers. E Bay does little to deal with it. The loss of revenue if they cleaned things up would be substantial. I think at some point a Class Action suit will be filed against E Bay. All that needs to be proven is that E Bay knew fraud was being committed and they did nothing because it would hurt their bottom line.

I think he was really being a POS..

I believe if you click here you wilkl see that he was looking for suckers that would have paid quite a bit more trying to cherry pick him... Or someone may have told him that he could get more as a top 100 VAM

I noticed that during the auction and I thought to myself, hmm, 80/79S. Nice. But what I really think happened is he just copied a picture from another auction. He'd better refund my money.I think this qualifies as "substantially different" from the item offered for auction? Thanks for the ideas about threats to use guys.