• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ANA report

27 posts in this topic

I flew out of Manchester NH. on Tuesday at 12:55pm on Southwest airlines. Nice flight maybe about 55 minutes, and arrived in Baltimore around 2o pm. I flew with a fellow board member, Mr. D. We found a cab and took a quick ride into the city, and found our hotel (priceline $100 a night).Checked the bags into the room and headed over to the convention center, arriving at about 3:00.

Ran into Brandon Kelley formelly of Annaconda rare coins, and talked with him for awhile about his future plans, he is a free agent and is fielding offers. Something tells me he will land on his feet and do just fine.

We entered the line at the ANA booths to get our early bird passes, and this is where things really started to come unglued. It appeared that no one knew where to get in line or which line to be in. There were several lines and most everyone choose the wrong one. We were in one line for 10 minutes before we were told this just might not be the line we should be in. This went one for almost an hour, with it taking three lines to complete the task of getting signed in, very very disorganized.

At 4:30 we entered the bourse and it was off to the races. I was looking for Big Moose as we had pm'd earlier in the week that we would hook up. He was bringing some coins for me to buy and some others for me to look at. Lest anyone does not know Tom, he has some killer coins. We found each other and agreed that tomorrow would work for both of us to show coins. I went to Rare Coins of New Hampshirew to leave my brief case and check out their inventory. They alwaqys have some great coins. I was on the hunt for three diff erent things, proof Indian cents, killer "A+ box" toned Morgans and Gsa's both toned and mirrored. RCNH had nothing for me, so off I went. The first person I ran into was Andy Kimmel, now if you do not know Andy is one of the few original toned dollar dealers. He has been into them since waaay back in the early eighties. He showed me a box of toned Morgans that an old client of his sold him just before the show. Andy said these coins were his clients Btype color coins. Well their were two or three that most people today would call A type material.He quoted me on a couple ($3500) and I passed on them not wanting to spend a large chunk of my spending cash in the first hour. So the search went on, taking in how big the show truely was. They were using areas of the floor that is not used for the regular Baltimore show.

Heading towards the back section, I ran into a table that was selling all GSA's. An old friend Jim Curtis was sitting at the table going over a large pile of GSA's. While I was waiting to say hello and look over some myself, when I noticed that the owner was displaying one of the kings of the GSA hoard. He had the one and only 1889-cc in a GSA holder, it was graded ms-62 DMPL. I would say PL but not a real DMPL to me. None the less a very impressive coin. I know that another collector friend of mine was chasing this coin for some time and will be bummed it has changed onwership and he was not the buyer. Doug Sharpe is the new owner and told me he has insured the coin for 2 million dollars, WOW.

I found another board member at a table in the rear section, Cape. We talked for awhile about the upcoming auction which has quite a few of his buffs in it. He was sharing a table with James Sego our resident IKE man. I left there to hook up with a few friends to make dinner plans.

Went to the Superior table and met up with Dale Larson, another board member. We decided that we would go to little Italy and have Italion the first night. DiMinneos was the choice. I guess they are famous for their Veal Chops. I ordered veal parm which was the order of choice from three of the four in our group. I did notice an order of chops going to someone elses table and they were huge, looking like two prime ribs about an 1"1/2 thick. The rest of the nightr was spent talking about coins. By the way about half the clients in the Rest. were coin dealers, I guess it IS well known.

Wedsenday began with a rousing ovation by the ANA staffers at the main entrance for all the dealers who were entering, nice touch. I'm not sure early bird passes are worth the time as most dealers are not getting there at first light. I tried to find Tom (big moose) but was informed that he was probally at the gym working out. Tom does like to hit the weights. So I went to theHeritage auction viewing rooom to look over lots. Checked out all three auctions, signature, internet and Platnium night. Some really great coins in these auctions. I had a small group of coins in the auction myself, all Morgans with tonning. More on that later. Spent three hours checking over lots. God bless those graders who have to sit and look at all those coins for hours. Not for me, thats for sure.

By this time Tom was on the floor and we met up at a table he was hanging out at. Tom and I did some show and tell, wowing each other with some real killer coins. It was time to see what he brought me to buy. He showed me a neat group of proof Indians. We came to and agreement on two of his Indians, a 1902 ms-65* RB and a 1894 ms-65 BR. Nice addition to my growing collection of Indians.

With that Mr D called me and told me about a dealer who had a killer toned Morgan and I should see it. I went to the table and tlaked with the dealer who told me he was looking for me to render an opinion on this coin he had bought raw and had just got graded at the show,

ms-66+. I told him the coin was all there and if he still had it on Friday I would make him an offer. He told me he would wait until then for me to make the offer. You see my coins were going to be auctioned on Friday at 1:00 pm, and I would know how much money I had to play with, as this coins was not going to come cheap. The dealer was thinking it was a $3500 coin. Let him show it around and see if he was right or not. I knew he would hold it for me. Off I go and as I turn the corner a Gem proof Indian called out to me from Sarasotta rare coins table, "please take a look at me" it yelled. I did and quickly came to an agreement with the owner and I now had another cute coin for the collection. This one is a 1901 ms-65 RB. A real stunner, with great colors.

Stopped at the King of Carson city and sold a few GSA's to get some more spending cash. I went to Capes table to leave a few coins with him to sell, told him what I wanted and he could keep anything over what he got, worked for him and me too. As I was leaving his table I saw a GSA that was toned 100% on the Obverse. It was an 1880-cc ms-64 and the owner wanted sheet money money, which is $550, sold.

It was starting to really pick up on the floor, most dealers said they were happy so far. There was Gold every where and it was selling, GSA's were also all over the place and they seemed to be soft. I could not find to many Proof Indians. Angel Dees had a nice assortment but most of the dates that I liked were aleady spoken for in my collection. Raw material was selling pretty well it looked like to me. I ran into Charles Browne from certified coin assets and made plans to go to Mortons for dinner. I owe him for all he does at shows looking at coins when I can not attend. Those who do not know him, he has a great eye for technical details, having been a grader for PCGS for some time. He also worked for RCNH as a buyer for some time. A real gentleman.

Mortons meal was Ok, it would have been better if they had not screwed up my reservation and we did not have to eat in the bar. The manager was cool though and sent a round of drinks for free. Two diet cokes and two Martinis. off to the hotel to get ready for Thursday and hope the sox trade Manny.

Thursday brought Platnium night and watching some great coins get auctioned. First it was time to look for some more coins. I went by Richard Nachbars table and he had on display all the coins he wqas auctioning off for his farewell sale. Some really neat coins here. It was a silent auction of approx. 120 coins, all with CAC stickers, with 11 having the coveted GOLD sticker. Two commens, Two gold coins and a few others. I do not know how the sale turned out, but I'm sure someone was happy.

I found a really cool proof indian at Evan Gales table but he was not looking to deal. Priced as is, take it or leave it. Left it. The coin was a 1903 PR 66 in a PCGS holder with deep deep mirrors and amazing colors (not blue). This coin would haunt me the rest of the trip. I made several trips by his table during the day and the coin was still there.

There was a Marylin Monroe look-a-like walking(working) the floor, added a little to the show. There was an Abe Lincoln Too at the whitman booth. I also saw the Wizard walking around. The coolest thing for me was the live Eagle in row 100. I had never been that close to a live eagle, very impressive bird. Not even the 2.8 million in gold across from it could distract me.

I went up to the Heritage auction room early to get a seat at the tables so I could spread out my book and watch some great coins be bought. The idea was a good one, but I was just way too late. I found a chair in the middle of the room and took it. I watched as the the buffs came up. For the most part you could have heard crickets going off in the room, it was that quite during the bidding. The reserves were high and a lot went back to the book. Three buffs did set record pricing though. One went for $120000.00 The three legger set a record and one other did also. I left shortly after, but from what I understand the dimes brought an AVERAGE of $81000.00 apiece, amazing numbers.

Friday was going to be my last day, so I made the rounds to see if there was anything I missed. The 1903 Indians was still at Evan Gales table talking to me, but my mind was on the auction and my coins. I missed the PCGS lunch to get a good seat at the auction as I wanted to catch up with Mike Defalco. His client was selling his DMPL Morgans and they were first up in the auction. I was introduced to the owner by Mike and mentioned to him what a wonderful collection he had. He wished me well with my coins (as meager as they were compared to his) and we grabbed our seats. Some very strong prices were being bid for this collection. Mike was representing a new client and bought a few of the Dimmples back. Ledgend bought the 79-cc DMPL, it hammered at $55000.00 plus the juice. Jack Lee was an active buyer also. A fellow to my right bought about half the collection.

My coins were mixed in in the remainder of the Morgans9 of 13 mit reserve and all in all qwent for very good (for me) money. Flush with the thought I would be getting a nice check I went to the bourse to find the owner of the 66+ it is a 1883-o with amazing color in all the right places. We met up at his table and I made him my offer, he looked the coin over very hard and countered. I siad lets just split the difference and let it go at that. Deal, I'm now the new owner of an A+ box toner. I ran into Andy Kimmel and he asked if I had found anything, showed him the coin, told him the price and he said WOW, you ripped it.

My last time down row 1000 I saw the 1903 proof Indian, it was still there. No surprise, it was priced strong. I told a friend of mine to take a look at5 it and tell me what he thought. I was just about ready to pull the trigger. He called me on the phone and said Evan quoted him $1300 for it. Buy it for me I asked, and he did. So much for the price is the price/

I went to the airport a happy man. One monster toned Morgan, a toned 1880-cc GSA and four new proof indians for the collection. Great show for me.

Thanks for listening.

Looked at the Stewart Blye collection at the PCGS table, makes one wonder if anyone will ever come close to him in quality.

That's a great report Jack. It sounds like you had a very successful trip. Can't wait to see you post your new "monsters". (thumbs u

Thanks for a great report. You nearly had me drooling over the Morgans, but the eagle was the icing on the cake. I'm glad that you fared well.

Chris

This is one of the best show reports that I've read since truthteller passed the mantel.

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I"ll hold my breath until you put pics up of the 1883 O!

Great report from what appeared to have been a great coin show for you. I appreciate your effort in informing us as to your experience. Hope you post pics of the coins you bought-especially the IHC proofs. Can't wait to see them.

Thanks again for your effort.

Jim

This is one of the best show reports that I've read since truthteller passed the mantel.

Ditto .. Nice job .. I like the FOOD parts :o

$2MM insurance for the 89-CC GSA 62-DMPL???

Two million might be a bit much but I could see one million easy. So I could understand why someone would insure it for two. After all it is the only one in a GSA holder.

Excellent report Jack! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I'm glad that the hunt was succesful. Mighty purty looking Morgan, too. :applause: