• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA World's Fair of Money: Day 1 Report

19 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I went to the ANA World's Fair of Money in Charm City. While I have been to the Whitman shows, the four open halls for this show makes it look huge! But there are aspects of how the show may be laid out that I question. More on that later.

Last night, I posted immediate impressions to my blog. The blog entry has my impression on the US Mint and NGC. There are also pictures that I had taken from the show floor.

Considering the way I feel, I may not go on Friday. I am still recovering from knee surgery and I am really sore following the day at the show. I will try. If not, it was a great day! Take a look at my blog post. I will post more through the weekend.

Scott :hi:

The pictures were taken with a 2 megapixel camera on the iPhone. It is very difficult to control the images, especially when the Mint had the coins lighted with overhead spots in the case. I was having a difficult time getting images.

The coins are really very high relief. The coins are concave with the elements in ultra high relief. From the angles I was able to see, the relief lined up with the edge of the coin--so if you wanted to stack the coins, they could be stacked (more on that below). The proof version is has a very striking look that when people see it, there have been a number of positive "ooos" and "ahhhhs."

Since it is a piefort (double height), there is a lot of edge space. The edge lettering is very different from the one used on the current dollars. The lettering is larger and deeper on these coins. They are clean and very readable, as compared to the dollar edge lettering. But there is more room on the Double Eagle to allow them to use larger letters.

As for the stackable part, I asked the representative at the Mint booth why it seems the high relief make the coin level since they would not have to be stacked? I was told that the coins would be stacked. The uncirculated, bullion coins will be stacked in rolls that will be sold to dealers.

The lettering is larger and deeper on these coins.

Deeper? You mean it is incuse? I thought the lettering on the originals that they were copying had raised edge lettering.

The lettering is larger and deeper on these coins.

Deeper? You mean it is incuse? I thought the lettering on the originals that they were copying had raised edge lettering.

From what I can see through the glass, they looked incuse to me. But as I said, the lighting was horrible and sometimes it was difficult to see certain coins.

Scott how do I stop the slideshow? I want to read what it says about the gold bars..but I can't figure how to stop the slideshow so I can read it.

Thanks

The slideshow is hosted on Photobucket. My userid is "coinsblog." But here's the image:

photo-gold.jpg

If you plan on going back today, could you take your Canon and get a better shot of the UHRs?

Thanks in advance!!

Sorry... but my knee keeps reminding me that I am recovering from surgery. My activity on Wednesday really did my knee and my left foot (for favoring it) in. I still have not recovered. Unfortunately, I may not be able to get back to Baltimore. If I can, I do want to take the better camera for better images. But I cannot promise anything.

Thanks so much, Scott for your time and especially for tolerating the sore knee during you sojourn. It is always great to hear from someone there rather than reading about it third or fourth hand.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Jim

On the Saint commem, the edge lettering is raised and struck using a 3-part segmented collar (you can see vertical lines on the edge from the segments). The pres dollars are added by a separate machine after the coins are struck, where on the Saint, the lettering is added as part of the stike itself. As for stacking in rolls to ship to dealers, I thought the URH 2009 Saint was a one-year commemorative coin and not part of the bullion program, so no rolls, but I could have that wrong. Excellent show report, thanks for sharing!

I am leaving for the World's Fair of Money at 10:00..figure by the time I hit the postoffice to mail a few things, drive up to Baltimore and find parking..I should be perusing my first coins by 11:00..I'll let you know how I did and how things were on Saturday..may be a madhouse..

The original S-G 1906 model (MCMVII - Extremely High Relief) had almost no rim and by the time reductions were made, the field flowed directly into the edge producing a sharp knife rim. Precise planchet and die alignment is essential if off-center strikes are to be avoided. The MMIX reproduction adds a narrow rim to make production easier. It has no role in stacking since these are not going to be stacked like ordinary money. Anyway, pure gold is too soft to tolerate handling without becoming scuffed of dented.

Thanks for the post Scott. I hope your knees feel better! I just got back yesterday, so will try to post something about it, later on today.

had a great day..I just logged my days' experience into my journal entry at Collectors society...here's the thread of how my day went... http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=4254

Good for you, Jackson! Thanks for the report.

Chris

Great writing and a fascinating read!! Thanks!

And, dude, that Israeli coin is gorgeous! Since ships are your theme then I think that you did quite well! (thumbs u

I thought the URH 2009 Saint was a one-year commemorative coin and not part of the bullion program, so no rolls, but I could have that wrong.

The coin will be struck in gold only in 2009. If the bill passes the Senate, it will be struck in palladium that looks goldish starting in 2010.