• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thaler

4 posts in this topic

That is very strange. My first guess was that it was a gold-plated 1743 Thaler, KM-183. The dies point to only that one issue....nothing else. So, either it is a gold-plated coin--which doesn't seem likely since the wear does not reveal the silver surfaces underneath--or it is a 1743 Thaler struck in gold. The latter doesn't seem likely either since it would be too light at 34.4 grams, at least that seems light to me. I guess it could be 34.4 grams at that diameter, assuming the coin is relatively thin. Hmmmm.

What's your opinion, James? There are gold Thaler patterns known. There's a 1744 Bremen thaler in gold. If it is a gold pattern then it is rare, rare, rare.

James_Early US

The only information I can provide is from the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1701-1800. What I found will probably confuse you more than help. Your coin looks exactly like KM-184, 2 Thaler but the catalog indicates that they were minted in only silver. The sizes match, however to your measurements looking at your ruler in the photo and measuring the photo in the World Coin Catalog. However, no pieces are listed in gold in 1743, just silver. KM 182 1 thaler (also silver) was issued in 1743 but there is no photo (it is indicated as Rare) and the description in the catalog does not match that of KM 184. The size is approximately the same.

To complicate things, KM 183 looks like a match as well, but it is a 1 thaler coin, also in silver. I can find no listing for any other "similar" coins issued in 1743.

A possibility is that there is a pattern in 1743 (PN 19) , KM 180, a Groten gold coin but there is no description in the catalog.

Told ya' This would confuse you. Sorry I couldn't match it right up for you!

RI AL

The only information I can provide is from the Standard Catalog of World Coins 1701-1800. What I found will probably confuse you more than help. Your coin looks exactly like KM-184, 2 Thaler but the catalog indicates that they were minted in only silver. The sizes match, however to your measurements looking at your ruler in the photo and measuring the photo in the World Coin Catalog. However, no pieces are listed in gold in 1743, just silver. KM 182 1 thaler (also silver) was issued in 1743 but there is no photo (it is indicated as Rare) and the description in the catalog does not match that of KM 184. The size is approximately the same.

Taler dies (and their fractions) were sometimes used to strike gold planchets and the coins would have a higher value than their silver counterpart. It's an 8 Ducats listed in Friedberg (#419).

Here's an Auction Example of it. Sold for close to $36K, but in a much better condition.