• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what specific currently not "HOT"coin/series will see large demand next year?

28 posts in this topic

please give your opinion of which coin/coin series/date/grade that is not currently "HOT"

will see an increase in demand over the nest year?? flowerred.gif

and please give your reasoning 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

michael juggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gif

Well, I don't know when these will pick up, however, I think that original and lightly patinated coinage that is essentially completely white is currently undervalued. I'm not writing about dipped pieces that have bright, shiny surfaces. I'm writing about those older, perhaps sixty years and older, coins with great, original surfaces that have a thin layer of oxidation on them and that look gorgeous and satiny. These are truly difficult to find because so many have been dipped in order to max out the grades. The third party grading services are complicit in the destruction of the surfaces on these coins since they seem to reward that "just minted" look at the expense of the beautifully preserved, white look.

i love all the great responses!!

for me i think really nice semi better issues of frnaklins in ms66 where they are not quite full bell lines but xlose are great vuys and indervalued especially so with great original toning thawt is attractive as you never see these usually they are dipped blast white or ugly toned

also really neat deep cameo proof coinage pre 1916 that is blast but has deep clean clear mirrors is just plain scarce

not the usual dipped out cloudyt hazy ugly piece

also great toned minor coins of the 19 century in proof

neat early commems that have nice colors even if lightly so

mintstate and proof neatly toned or thick skinned original white coins pre 1950

walkers in gem and higher that are really neatly toned and original non dipped as you never see such coins

michael

Jefferson nickel keys will spike soon after the new releases.

Early commems. after the modern commem.s [!@#%^&^] out

Anything multi-color toned and slabbed

Washington quarters will continue to climb

Franklins, especially proof issues, cameo or not

and an odd prediction, Ike Dollars

Pure speculation ! I would have to say high grade or toned Roosevelt dimes. Reason : Logic would seem to suggest that these will see increased demand as they will be the next coin to receive a design change after the Jefferson nickel . Judging from the popularity of the state quarter program and the re-design of the Jeffferson nickel . One only has to visit the NGC boards to see various threads pretaining to Jefferson nickels . Ergo increased interest and values. Five years ago if you were to offer a high grade MS Jefferson with full steps for sale you might have done well to get $20.00 for it. Today natioal dealers offer them in regular advertisements for exorbitant prices from a few hundred dollars up into the thousands. The only explanation that seems logical for such a rapid increase is the coins re-design.

Again I would like to point out that this is only my opinion and is pure speculation. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I hope anything that is still housed in their original Mint packaging, no matter what face value or grade will pick up. I think so many sets have been dismantled to satisfy the "grade" craze, that the remaining mint/proof sets will have a bigger value.

Mint/proof sets have always remained in a fairly high grade so the value should be there as well, as long as the coin or coins are maintained in their original state.

Steve

Well, I don't know when these will pick up, however, I think that original and lightly patinated coinage that is essentially completely white is currently undervalued. I'm not writing about dipped pieces that have bright, shiny surfaces. I'm writing about those older, perhaps sixty years and older, coins with great, original surfaces that have a thin layer of oxidation on them and that look gorgeous and satiny. These are truly difficult to find because so many have been dipped in order to max out the grades. The third party grading services are complicit in the destruction of the surfaces on these coins since they seem to reward that "just minted" look at the expense of the beautifully preserved, white look.

Great coins that you're describing Tom, but I doubt they will "catch on." Appreciation for those kinds of white-skinned, well preserved coins is sorely lacking and something that usually only comes with seasons of collecting.

I can't really say what coins are going to catch on in the coming year. I think that Jefferson nickel collecting is already ramped up for the full steps coins. I hope that appreciation will grow for the gem and gem+ coins of that series that are not FS. Some of those are more common than others, but they are underappreciated for the series as a whole.

Hoot

I think all of the responses so far are very good. As for me, I think there are a couple of areas that stand to do very well. I think that Jeffersons have run, but I think the new nickels may raise some interest in earlier series that are perennially undervalued, especially Liberty Nickels. They are common enough to be available to most collectors in higher grades (I am not talking modern high grades, but like XF and higher) and they are pretty well ignored today. I think some early type coins might do well, and Bust halves seem poised for some improvement, especially given how cheap they are. As newer collectors discover that common ones in circulated condition can by had for a quarter the price of a high-grade certified FS Jefferson, I think more people will get interested. I think some other odd denomination types may also do well, like 3cn, 3cs and 2c pieces, just as newer collectors want an example of these obsolete denominations. As this will be type demand, the common dates are likely to perform better than key dates. Finally, I think the strength in gold will translate into improvements in the middle of the gold coin market. By middle, I mean dates that are better than the common dates, but not up to the level of semi-key or key dates. For Saints, that means coins like the S-mints from the teens, and the 08-WM coins, and the 1907 arabic date. The low end, like the common P-mints from the 1920s will do as well or a little better than bullion, and the scarce dates will likely trade somewhat higher with demand, but the middle tier will likely see a larger relative increase in my opinion.

The strenght and direction of the market is still controlled by we old timers despite the fact that we are grossly outnumbered by both newbies and returning collectors. This is largely because we spend more money on coins than these other groups, but there are some more subtle reasons as well. Based on this it seems likely that older obsolete nickel and copper coins will do better (especially post 1863). Ikes, and clad Washingtons. There will be hotter coins such as the Roosys, silver Washingtons, and Jeffersons (perhaps bust and large cents as well), but these are already hot series. There may finally be a little resurgence in peace dollars also. The later coins will be pushed up primarily by newbies, the hot coins currently will be pushed up primarily by returnees, and the others by old timers.

I like the 1837 through the Civil War Seated silver issues. They have not increased as much as many other issues and they certainly are scarcer, particularly Civil War era coins. For example, I have a NGC AU58, 1837 Seated Dime (small stars type) that I bought for almost the same price as an (overgraded raw-EF45) sold as AU55 that I purchased 10 years ago.

I have been looking for a certified MS63, Stars Obverse, with drapery, Seated Dime for over 10 months with no luck. I have found none, let alone a decent one! I want to complete my Seated Dime Type Set and lack this one coin. 893frustrated.gif

Just my guesses:

1) With the large premiums attached to attractively toned Morgans, I expect to see something similar re Walkers, as both series are very popular.

2) Attractive, Unc., below registry set level No Motto Seated quarters and halves have been flat the last few years. We are already seeing price increases in problem-free Seated $s in Unc.

3) Attractive, problem free Draped Bust material which still has some original mint luster that hasn't been played with too much. We've already seen this with Bust $s; nice AU specimens & better are already beyond the price range of all but a few collectors.

Three Cent nickels are the next hot series (no, really, I'm serious), especially by variety. There is a totally solid reason for this. A new book coming out is going to really put this series on the map.

You heard it here first!

James

I agree! Think of the rarity of many of the proofs and high grade ms. I can see them sky-rocketing in price along with other 19th century proofs.

Low mintage Modern Commemorative Mint State Gold (1997 Jackie Robinson, 1996 Smithsonian, etc.) and 1996 MS69 1$ Modern Commemoratives (Tennis, High Jump, Rowing and Paralympics). J. Parrino has been buying all he can get his hands on for the last 3 months.

I believe that the 3-cent silver coin series is way, way undervalued. Most dates of the Type II and III coins (with three exceptions) have less than 250 coins total (per date) certified by NGC. Many have less than 100 examples. However, you can still buy nice MS63/64 coins for reasonable prices.

Who, for those of us unfortunate enough not to have been invited to his place for dinner and home theater, is "J. Parrino?" Is he the guy who runs J. Parrino's Pasta House & Bar in Springfield, MO?

Beijim

Who, for those of us unfortunate enough not to have been invited to his place for dinner and home theater, is "J. Parrino?" Is he the guy who runs J. Parrino's Pasta House & Bar in Springfield, MO?

grin.gif Good one! It could be his cousin but here is his website!

web page