• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

one of my first morgans

11 posts in this topic

I know its a common date but its my first.

2 questions though.

1) anything I should know about pcgs "rattler" holders?

2)anything of importance on the reverse of this coin?

web.jpg

web.jpg

Some people believe that many coins in the old rattlers were graded too conservatively, but that is not necessarily always true.

The die crack you see across "STATES OF" adds no real significance to the coin since die cracks are fairly common.

There is also a die clash that is very common. If you look at the top of the eagle's right wing (viewer's left) you will see a slight vertical mark extending toward the "n" of IGWT. That is Liberty's neckline. Just inside the righthand wreath, you will also see what looks like a "v-shape" on its side. That is Liberty's cap where it is gathered by the drawstring. Judging by the faintness of the clashes, your Morgan is an example of a later die state since the clashes have a tendency to fade from continued use of the die.

Does this help?

Chris

All info is useful... thanks!!

The 1887 is ms64

here is another that I bought raw. It was describer as proof like.... Not sure as to how it would grade any thoughts?

web.jpg

web.jpg

I like the 87' and agree with chrs's remarks. I also think it's probably good at MS64 and don't think it will upgrade. I also agree with tonidanzawillpay as it may BB for rim damage, and if it did grade, maybe MS61 or 62. Not bad for first pickups tho'. My first ones were harshly cleaned!!

I like the 87' and agree with chrs's remarks. I also think it's probably good at MS64 and don't think it will upgrade. I also agree with tonidanzawillpay as it may BB for rim damage, and if it did grade, maybe MS61 or 62. Not bad for first pickups tho'. My first ones were harshly cleaned!!

Very nice '87. I hardly qualify to judge, but it is a good looking MS. I had a cleaned 90 cc as one of my first buys, so if the 96 is, it happens. Every day I learn something more.

Not to hijack the thread, but bsshog40, if what I see I read correctly on your sig, my condolences. I don't know you, but that does not mean we don't share the empathy. Thoughts are with you and yours.

i think the 96 would BB, though not 100% sure....

BB? Probably! It looks like someone tried to rub her face in a gravel road.

Chris

[

Not to hijack the thread, but bsshog40, if what I see I read correctly on your sig, my condolences. I don't know you, but that does not mean we don't share the empathy. Thoughts are with you and yours.

Thank you!!

the first coin is awsome! id like to say upgrade but not sure. its a beut. the obv of second coin isnt to promising but the rev is nice i think :) IMO