• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

News: New NGC Holder

30 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of Busties that I want (and possibly some that will need to be) attributed, so now I know to wait till September and I can have them all housed in this new holder. Looks cool!

They are going to make a killing on reholdering fees as I would prefer to have all of my toned coins in those holders......it will allow more light to get to the coins surface which will not only make it easier to image, but the coins will just look better in hand. :acclaim:

Thinner holder. I hope it fits in the NGC plastic boxes.

Where are you getting thinner from?

Looks like the same holder used for the Presidential Dollars which is not thinner.

It's kind of funny that the "edge view" design idea has been around and in use since the 1960s. Took long enough for NGC to finally get around to implementing it when the Presidential dollars came out!

New holder looks great, and I agree that NGC will get some nice revenue from reholders.

The white plastic part around the coin is thinner, but not the external plastic holder...

I am a bit dissapointed that just a few months ago I asked if they could place my 1927 Weimar Republic coin and some Conder Tokens I had with sailing ships on them in one of the holders with the edge view ( they are literally the same size as the Prez dollars)..and was told flatly "No"

now I'll have to pay extra to re-holder coins that were slabbed less than 6 months ago if I want the edge lettering to be visible....

Can the coin industry nickel and dime me any more?..what's next?..a Fifth Party Grader to determine if my judgement, the dealers judgement, the TPG's judgement and CAC's judgement were the correct opinion ?........

Gotta love Dansco's...

Without causing a riot, personally I'd escalate the matter to NGC and ask to contact a supervisor or manager (call or even write). The notion that you were told a few months ago that they would not or could not do the edge view holder for the coin and here they are doing it for ANY coin (coming soon) tells me that more than likely when you asked, the new holder just had to be in the development stages. I mean they don't just create these things overnight.

Politely explain your situation, what you might be seeking (such as re-holders for the coins you wanted done that way in the first place).

For instance, if you had been told that the new holder was coming in a few months,

might you have waited to get them graded/slabbed in the new holders?

Using that logic, the worst they can say of course is no. Best case, maybe they can waive at least the re-holder fee(s), and leave you with shipping costs. You might submit a few other coins at the same time to help defray that to it's not a total loss (the shipping I mean, and if they were to extend that courtesy).

Just a suggestion.

I am a bit dissapointed that just a few months ago I asked if they could place my 1927 Weimar Republic coin and some Conder Tokens I had with sailing ships on them in one of the holders with the edge view ( they are literally the same size as the Prez dollars)..and was told flatly "No"

now I'll have to pay extra to re-holder coins that were slabbed less than 6 months ago if I want the edge lettering to be visible....

Can the coin industry nickel and dime me any more?..what's next?..a Fifth Party Grader to determine if my judgement, the dealers judgement, the TPG's judgement and CAC's judgement were the correct opinion ?........

Gotta love Dansco's...

Good idea, Bully. I would find it hard to believe that under those exact circumstances NGC would not satisfy an understandable customer's complaint. JMHO

Jim

Unless there are other changes that aren't apparent it appears to be the same as the new slab they released back in Feb for two days until we pointed out to them that they had Official spelled wrong on the hologram. (Although that one may not have ben an edge view holder. But snce they could put the new labels on an edge view insert both types may have existed.)

OK they have changed the front label as well, so it isn't the same as the Feb slabs.

Unless there is another press release other than the link in the original post, I see nothing that indicates these edge view holders will be available for anything other than the double eagles and the president dollars that they are currently used for.

It's kind of funny that the "edge view" design idea has been around and in use since the 1960s. Took long enough for NGC to finally get around to implementing it when the Presidential dollars came out!

Some early pre-slab coin holders used to have the capability to sow the edge of the coin, the first slabs with edge view capability's appeared in 2002. NGC introduced the edge view holder in 2003 but only for Saint-Gaudens double eagles (a few capped bust halves were also slabbed in them but then they decided to only use them for the double eagle.) But they never promoted them and most collectors never knew they existed. Then they WERE promoted s a great new holder when the President dollars came out in 2007, and NGC even claimd that the edge view as developed to show the edge of the President dollars. Even though they had been in use for four years before the President dollars came out and two years before they were even proposed.

So, when is PCGS unveiling their new holder? ;\)

At the Chicago International show in April(?) PCGS told me that they do not have any plans to change their holders in the near future.

No - I do not like it. It seems to cover up the rims of the coin where it is attached. These remind me of the old pcgs rattlers.

I think the double eagles look better in the regular holders. As far as the pres dollars could care less as I dont have any slabbed ones, just rolls. I like rolls, you dump the coins out, hear them jingle, and play with them. A few bag marks won't hurt them, this is how they were handled in the old days. Even if a coin has a number of bag marks it can still be BU. We played poker with a coupla rolls of ASE's. If they were MS 70 at the beginning, I doubt you could find any MS 64+ now. Some even look AU, well I guess they really are considering how we were handling them!

I think a good feature to incorporate in a new holder would be some sort of opening feature (seriously), but something that would result in the slab permanently remaining unable to be resealed. That would prevent all of the bandsaw and hammer action currently going on when folks crack coins. I imagine something like the pull ring on a jug of milk, only more complicated.

i love it as you get a tapered holder round the coin with an edge view making the coin seem much less deeply enveloped as in the old holder especially so with half dollar sized and small coins

it is for me fantastic!

Sorry. It sure looks thinner.

Don't let the artwork fool you. According to the people at the NGC table in Baltimore, the dimensions of the slab will not change. The edgeview holders will be for all coins less than 40mm in diameter. Coins that are 40mm in diameter will not be housed in an edgeview holder because of the size of the insert required.

NGC was also non-committal on the date these would be available, except to say "maybe the beginning of September."

Scott :hi:

I will wait on passing judgment until I see my first Bustie in one. I do think though that the more clear plastic used in the NCS holders would look better for the prongs, or the entire insert.

just find it a total rip off that they refuse to go after couterfeit holders like other product manufacturers when counterfeit items appear but chose to save their legal fees and burden us with their reholding scheme. And not to mention our shipping charges when we reholder....

if the coin is bigger than 40mm, they would be using the old holder but with the new hologram for better security?

even if the coin is bigger than 40mm, should they not use the new sealing method to make it more airtight?

New holder looks great, and I agree that NGC will get some nice revenue from reholders.

The edge-view design was being used by NGC for years before the Presidential dollars came out, but it was not widely publicized, and it was only done on a coin by coin basis, after customer's requests.

Standardizing the edge-view is a great step forward, and the re-designed label looks like a vast improvement as well.