• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first pics for 2009 want list!!!

19 posts in this topic

Well, it looks from those photos like the mint did a pretty good job on this one, added to my want list!

I agree about the motto. I can't recall if the original pattern has a lettered edge or plain edge. In any case, I like the lettering. Interestingly, the obverse has only 46 stars which is the same as the original (the stars for New Mexico and Arizona were added in 1912). I thought they would have made it 50 for this one.

The motto really kills the reverse for me, and the finish is nearly PL, or looks to be from the photo. I'd have to see one of these in hand before making a decision on a potentially $1,000+ coin.

If you are attending the World's Fair of Money in Baltimore later this week (and I encourage everyone who can attend to be there), the Mint will be showing off trial strikes of the coin and plaster masters (say that 3-times fast) of the coin design. It will be a great exhibit!

Scott :hi:

I'm looking forward to this coin. The law states (Scott, correct me if I'm wrong) that the finish is supposed to be the "matte"-like finish that was in the business strike versions, NOT proof. To me, that's what it looks like in the photo (rendering?) provided ... it does NOT look prooflike to me.

Okay, I've been thinking about it, and I have to have one of these. I'll never be able to own one of the originals, and this one is just as beautiful. Gonna put a sharp decline in my coin buying for a while!

The bill, H.R. 5614 passed the House on May 15, 2008 with a 415-0 vote. It was received by the Senate on May 19 and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs (Chris Dodd is the chair, Richard Shelby is the ranking member). The bill has not made it to the committee's calendar. The past few weeks have been taken up by the housing bill that recently passed (the one that includes the collection of your credit card information).

According to H.R. 5614, the coin will be struck in one ounce of .995 pure palladium, except for the first year which the Mint can strike the coin in gold. No fractional issues allowed. The Mint will strike the 2009 coins in 24-karat (.999 fine) gold. Subsequently, all versions starting in 2010 will be struck in palladium.

Bullion coins can be struck at any mint other than West Point. The Secretary of the Treasury (as represented by the Director of the US Mint) will set the striking limits for bullion coins.

Collector version must be minted at West Point. The bill limits the collector's version to 15,000 coins. Interestingly, the collector's version will "bear a single finish that most closely approximate the finish of the original gold 1907 ultra-high relief gold piece as is practicable." In other words, the .005 filler of the palladium will make the coin look like gold (maybe manganese and copper?).

For comparison, here is a Kitco chart for the current prices of these metals. Palladium is almost the average of silver and gold. The prices "could" come down in 2010.

sp_en_6.gif

Scott :hi:

You know, I had just about finished zeroing in on my goals for Carson gold and then decided to get the presidential spouses that resembled actual old coins.

My list for gold just received an another update.

Very nice and must get on the 15,000 list.

Okay, I've been thinking about it, and I have to have one of these. I'll never be able to own one of the originals, and this one is just as beautiful. Gonna put a sharp decline in my coin buying for a while!

Chad, there are only 2 originals, and both are in the Smithsonian (there were 5 struck and the other 3 were melted). So you are correct, you will never be able to own an original!

There is a fairly good article in the new Coin World regarding the 2009 and 1907 and comparisons between the two.

Rey

HI There

This is one of the nicest coins of lady liberty I have seen .

The Saint Gaudens are a ltttle out of my reach for a set but as a nice piece of art as well as a coin I will be getting one for sure . And as they are getting minted for the whole year shouldn't have to pay to much of a premium over spot .

Just a question . With them being so much wider than standard will they fit into a NGC, PCGS holder ?

Cheers martin

PS Observer , thats a pretty gnarly leg to be showing . Don't think I would want to mess with that chick