• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My CAC submission

105 posts in this topic

In an earlier thread I stated that I was going to send a number of coins to the CAC and share my experience. To wit, I've chosen the 35 coins to be sent. The list is included below.

# Year Variety Type Grade TPG

1 1828 C-3 Classic Head Half Cent MS 64 RB PCGS

2 1793 S-3 Chain Cent Large Cent FR-02 PCGS

3 1798 S-155 Draped Bust Large Cent VF 25 PCGS

4 1810/09 S-281 Classic Head Large Cent VF 20 PCGS

5 1819/8 N-1 Liberty Head Large Cent MS 61 BN PCGS

6 1821 N-2 Liberty Head Large Cent XF 45 BN NGC

7 1827 N-11 Liberty Head Large Cent AU 58 PCGS

8 1843 N-10 Liberty Head Large Cent MS 62 BN NGC

9 1850 Liberty Head Large Cent MS 65 RB PCGS

10 1852 Liberty Head Large Cent MS 65 RB PCGS

11 1853 N-25 Liberty Head Large Cent MS 65 RB PCGS

12 1858 Small Letters Flying Eagle Small Cent MS 63 PCGS

13 1880 Proof Indian Head Small Cent PF 64 RB NGC

14 1905 Proof Indian Head Small Cent PF 65 RB NGC

15 1869 Proof Shield Two Cents PR 65 RB PCGS

16 1885 Proof Three Cents Three Cents PF 66 NGC

17 1883 Shield Nickel MS 65 NGC

18 1904 Proof Liberty Head Nickel PR 66 PCGS

19 1905 Proof Liberty Head Nickel PF 65 NGC

20 1936 Satin Proof Buffalo Nickel PF 67 NGC

21 1853 With Arrows Liberty Seated Dime MS 64 PCGS

22 1905 Proof Barber Dime PR 66 PCGS

23 1940 Proof Mercury Dime PF 67 NGC

24 1841-O DDO Liberty Seated Quarter AU 55 PCGS

25 1869 Proof Liberty Seated Quarter PR 64 PCGS

26 1892 Isabella Quarter MS 64 PCGS

27 1905 Proof Barber Quarter PR 64 PCGS

28 1805 Draped Bust Half Dollar VF 20 PCGS

29 1890 Proof Liberty Seated Half Dollar PF 64 NGC

30 1874 Trade Dollar XF 45 PCGS

31 1921 Peace Dollar AU 58 NGC

32 1854 Indian Head Gold Dollar AU 58 PCGS

33 1835 Classic Head Quarter Eagle XF 45 PCGS

34 1899 Liberty Head Eagle MS 63 NGC

35 1913 Indian Head Eagle MS 63 PCGS

FWIW, I chose the most expensive coins as to get the most bang for the buck -- with a few other coins thrown in for good measure. I will update this thread with more information as it becomes available....Mike

I am very interested on how well you do. I have been trying to decide if I should or shouldn't send my coins for the little football stickers since December!

Mike are you sending the coins directly or through a CAC dealer?

are you doing this in hopes that they will increase in value because of the sticker or are you looking for confirmation that the coins are graded accurately?---genuinely curious...

I am very interested on how well you do. I have been trying to decide if I should or shouldn't send my coins for the little football stickers...

I've wondered the same thing as well. I have maybe a dozen coins that could go, but I just don't know for sure.

im with you guys. my first submit will be when i get all my coins out of there jails (loans). i only have a few that i would even think of sending from the 1800s :)

are you doing this in hopes that they will increase in value because of the sticker or are you looking for confirmation that the coins are graded accurately?---genuinely curious...

I'm doing this because:

a) I'm interested in getting another opinion on coins I've purchased (i.e. are they as good as I think they are);

b) I might learn a thing or two (about overgraded, doctored or otherwise problematic coins); and

c) I thought through sharing my experience it might help clear up some of the preconceptions, conjecture, and emotion as well as answer a few questions on the topic.

FWIW, there is a coin or three that I expect won't get a sticker, but more on that later....Mike

p.s. the coins are (and will be) insured.

I'm not submitting any coins to the CAC. I paid once for certification and grading, why should I pay another service to regrade the already encapsulated coins? If I sell (or my heirs) any of my slabbed coins and the buyer wants it to have a sticker on it from a group that is less altruistic than their press release suggests, then they can pay for the service. Until they separate their market interests from their service, I trust them less than the TPGs.

This is my opinion and I don't care who disagrees with me... including anyone who has any connection with this organization.

Scott :hi:

Tests like this are very interesting to me and i wait with baited breath to see the results..

thanks for posting and lets see what transpires

dooly :devil:

I have never understood how CAC's opionion is as good or better than either NGC or PCGS who graded the coin in the first place. Where has it been shown (unbiased analysis) that they are even as competent as NGC or PCGS at grading coins? I have heard many dealers comment they find the whole CAC thing insulting to their many years and experience in the industry. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with folks making money from CAC coins if people are really that gullible to believe that somehow that sticker justifies more of a premium than normal, but the CAC opinion is no substitute for my expertise and experience in picking quality coins for my collection.

I would be interested in what % of your stuff stickers Mike and what it all cost you. I wonder what kind of profit the dealer made off this. Its almost like the numbers racket I used to bet thru in Jersey. Looks like we are adding another middleman here. Gotta hand it to those CAC guys in finding a way to make money - they got it made, the gradings already done for them - they just gotta be careful they don't call a frog a prince. What a great money stream for them and their pardners.

Did you submit any that you think should get a gold sticker?

That's a good question, and one I've not pondered. Let me get back to you....I need to make some "predictions". ;)

... I have heard many dealers comment they find the whole CAC thing insulting to their many years and experience in the industry. .
Are those dealers equally insulted by the opinions of grading companies? If not, why not? ;)

as a new coin collector, wondering what value add does the sticker brings and it is even more prone to fraud....

c'mon, its just a sticker and its easier to print a sticker than to make a fake holder...

I can't comment on the "value add" a sticker brings. However, it is easy to look up the coin to see if the sticker is real:

http://www.caccoin.com/look-up-your-coins/

Did you submit any that you think should get a gold sticker?

That's a good question, and one I've not pondered. Let me get back to you....I need to make some "predictions". ;)

I have reviewed the coins, and I predict that 27 will sticker and 8 won't. Of those 8 unstickered coins, I'm really sure of only 2. Also, I suspect one coin might get the gold sticker, but not enough to predict it -- so I think the 27 will get the green sticker. I have also documented my thoughts/predictions, to be shared at a later date....

Time will tell if ownership also adds a sticker...Mike

p.s. I have an IHC going to CAC (1905) which looks very, very similar to the IHC in your signature, Lehigh.

Mike i noticed some of your coins have designations...like RD or FBL, does CAC cover those or just the technical grade?

Mike i noticed some of your coins have designations...like RD or FBL, does CAC cover those or just the technical grade?

I can state for a fact that if they sticker the coin, that means they agree with the grade and any designations included on the slab (CAMEO included).

Speaking of CAMEO's Mike, my proof IHC is graded as a CAMEO. It is one of my favorite coins of my entire collection which explains why it is in my signature line. Here is the blow up for your viewing pleasure. Good luck with your experiment.

IndianCent1897NGCPF66RBLarge.jpgIndianCent1897NGCPF66RB2.jpg

OK, I have recieved the preliminary results of my submission, and here is some analysis of the submission:

original.jpg

A few objective observations from the above numbers:

1) 60% of the coins got a green sticker; 40% did not.

2) The % of stickered coins was lower than I expected/predicted -- and I thought I was hard on the coins.

3) My more expensive coins did slightly better than my cheaper coins.

4) PCGS coins fared much better than NGC coins (70% vs 42%).

5) My trend over time was exactly opposite what I would have thought.

6) I did the best with coins I have the most experience with -- copper (73%) which also included two "set-up" coins I though wouldn't grade and another coin I thought was QT, or I would have been in excess of 90%.

7) I did the worst with coins I have the least experience with -- gold (25%).

I'm not submitting any coins to the CAC. I paid once for certification and grading, why should I pay another service to regrade the already encapsulated coins? If I sell (or my heirs) any of my slabbed coins and the buyer wants it to have a sticker on it from a group that is less altruistic than their press release suggests, then they can pay for the service. Until they separate their market interests from their service, I trust them less than the TPGs.

This is my opinion and I don't care who disagrees with me... including anyone who has any connection with this organization.

Scott :hi:

My exact sentiments.