• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do you submit your internet bids????

9 posts in this topic

I'm impatient, I know, but I can hold on...

WHEN do YOU submit your internet bids for a coin. Do you wait until the last week before the auction? The last day???? If you submit your bid weeks earlier, or do you think it gives people time to get revved up about being out bid and thus cause them only to bid even higher????

I waited until the last day for an auction, was outbid anyway and decided to bid further during live internet bidding the next day, only to find that my bids didn't register, and I lost the coin.

Still haven't gotten over that one. makepoint.gif

For eBay I snipe. There is no reason to bid early. All it does is tip your hand and allow others to raise your bid.

For Heritage I bid in the last 3 minutes or so.

Mike

In the last wee seconds of the auction. But sometimes, I'll bid with 45 seconds left to give the other bidders one last chance. I like imagining that someone may be in that panic mode to make that one last heroic bid. 27_laughing.gif

The way I look at it, if the price is too high, I'll pass. If the last bid is lower then what I'm willing to pay then I snipe away.

Leo

For eBay I snipe. There is no reason to bid early. All it does is tip your hand and allow others to raise your bid.

For Heritage I bid in the last 3 minutes or so.

Same here. For Long Beach size auctions I just enter a bid at any time.

It depends on what I want to pay for a coin, based on scarcity or how badly I need it for a set. Sometimes I will bid a day or two ahead of the auction close if I think that the coin will not get much action. On coins that are more sought after, I will wait until the bitter end or when my pain (price) threshold is exceeded. Whichever comes first.

I still remember the first online, real-time bid, auction that I bid in. I had intended to spend about $2500. on a couple Eagles and Saints and ended up spending over $8500. This can be a slippery slope.

For eBay I snipe

Yes, I had forgotten about an SLQ I found on Ebay once. I had the high bid and it was within the last hours of the auction. I kept it in the background on my computer while I was working on other things, checking it now and again, gloating over how I HAD it. In literally the last second, someone pounced in and bid on that coin...I didn't know what hit me. Was that YOU???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stooges.gif

No that wasn't me, but I do admire that person. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, it is the only way to bid. Snipe your max and that will give you your best odds of winning.

For eBay I snipe

Yes, I had forgotten about an SLQ I found on Ebay once. I had the high bid and it was within the last hours of the auction. I kept it in the background on my computer while I was working on other things, checking it now and again, gloating over how I HAD it. In literally the last second, someone pounced in and bid on that coin...I didn't know what hit me. Was that YOU???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stooges.gif

I can relate to that! All week, I had the high bid until someone sniped me at the end. I was so upset that I sent an email to this guy, telling him that he had all week to bid, that sniping was wrong, that open bidding determines the true value of the coin. He replied, I sit here in front of my computer and wait until the very last minute to bid and he was very apologitic. And I told him not to do that anymore, that it was wrong. 27_laughing.gif

Well, that was when I first started bidding via internet and yes, at that time, I was very nieve. I really wanted that coin. 27_laughing.gif I owe that guy an apology, do you hear me dude! I'm sorry! Oh, did I mention how great esnipe software is! 27_laughing.gif

Leo