• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884 Trade Dollar PR67 did not sell

7 posts in this topic

With all the hype and hoopla that it should sell at the minimum of 600K, it did not.

Hey, but you can BIN at only 575K. I thought there were a bunch of people bidding on this one. Comments?

The coin opened and closed at $490K without so much as a murmur from the attendees.

What do you think was the reason the coin did not sell. What do you think are the circumstances surrounding this single lot?

Let's see how perceptive the collecting community is...

EVP

What do you think was the reason the coin did not sell. What do you think are the circumstances surrounding this single lot?

Because the registry set weightings for this coin aren't accurate. Only getting 3 points for this coin isn't a good investment. Most people would rather spend $50 on a VG example for the same number of points. devil.gif

Isn't this the 3rd or 4th example that has come up for sale in the last year or so? Lots of opportunities for people interested to acquire an example of this coin.

The pictures of the coin also make it look like [!@#%^&^].

The owner was probably fishing for a big sale and no one bit. The market isn't as hot as some dealers keep saying.

I know they are trying to say it is a mint issue with a mintage of 10, but it is still really a fantasy coin made to line the pockets of the mint director. For $575,000 you can have a very nice collection of "real" rare coins. I cannot get too excited about ultra-rare dates.