• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments welcomed on this 1909 S-VDB- New Slab Images Added

25 posts in this topic

Owned by Pete Miller and belonging to the ESM collection in the PCGS registry. Graded MS66 Red and it has to be one of the most gorgeous S-VDBs I've ever seen.

09svdb66rdobv_875.jpg

09svdb66rdobv_880.jpg

09svdb66rdrev_894.jpg

09svdb66rdrev_890.jpg

09svdb66rdslab_899-1.jpg

09svdb66rdslab_898-1.jpg

You could build a temple for that coin, and get collectors to pray five times a day in its general direction.

That is a beauty all right!!!!!!!!!!!

:cloud9:

I agree it wouldn't grade RD today. Still one very fine example!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is an example that is owned by a Forum Member that is also very attractive:

1090svdbobv.jpg

1909svdbrev.jpg

I was five minutes away from being the owner. His phone call beat mine. I do have first dib's if he ever wants to sell it. :)

It is a very beautiful SVDB. One of the nicest I've ever seen. However, I agree with Michael that it's not a 66....maybe a 65. I betcha, as tight as I've heard PCGS these days, it could find it's way into a 64 holder.

It is a very beautiful SVDB. One of the nicest I've ever seen. However, I agree with Michael that it's not a 66....maybe a 65. I betcha, as tight as I've heard PCGS these days, it could find it's way into a 64 holder.
An MS65 or an MS64 based on what, Bruce? Incorrect or greatly exaggerated comments or rumors about how tight grading supposedly is these days?

The coin looks gorgeous, with excellent luster and surfaces which are essentially spot-free, with hardly any marks. And the few flaws which are evident are obviously largely magnified by the images. It looks to blow away the large majority of MS65's AND 66's I've seen. Frankly, I think you're out to lunch on this one. And by the way, Michael described it as "really nice and eye appealing but only ms 65++/66 red brown" , which isn't quite the same as saying " that it's not a 66".

The fairly large hit on the lapel I would think would be enough to knock it ouf of the 66 range. However, I can see the tremendous eye appeal bumping it up a point. Even if if were in a 65 holder, I think the eye appeal would bring close to 66 money.

JJ

In hand the coin is very lustrous with very minimal imperfections (which is why the grade is not 70). The red is quite evident with the exception of the toning. Maybe that would be enough to prevent it from the Red designation now. It appears that the PCGS slab is relatively new and I am also confident that the toning is older than the slab. If the coin is not Red, then PCGS missed the boat as well as Pete Miller, who has several #1 sets on the PCGS Registry, including the Registry home of this coin. One of Pete's #1 sets

I would have loved to image this one without the slab. :grin: Whatever Red is lacking is more than made up in eye appeal.

hmThat is a beautiful S VDB. I like the everything about it except the toning :P. I've had many, many early RED Lincolns that toned up like that in my Dansco album :o. Whenever this happened, I would sell them because I honestly thought it was artificial toning from a light dipping that reacted with the album materials or air :makepoint:. If I had the huge pile of cash that would be needed to purchase an 09-S VDB in this grade, I think I would hold out for a little more evenly MINT red example (shrug). That's just my personal opinion, and it usually doesn't matter to anybody but me. :blahblah: