• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glue removal

3 posts in this topic

I broke a Franklin from a proof set that has several glue (?) deposits on the reverse in the field. I'm assuming its glue because that's how it came from the mint. Since I didn't pay much for the set I'm in the mood to try a few methods to remove the glue. What would you suggest first: an acetone bath? If so, for how long, then what do I do after it comes out to remove the glue?

Acetone may work. Concentrated citrus based cleaners (i.e. "Goo Gone") may also work but then need to be removed with soap and warm water. I would be more concerned that the glue (or whatever) may not be removed without some rubbing.

If this is a coin that you are planning on getting graded, I recommend NCS... They did wonders on one of my DCameo Frankies... removing these nasty glue spots..