• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make me feel better... show my your untoned silver!

24 posts in this topic

Yesterday, my orthopedist trimmed a lot of cartilage in knee which he described as looking like shredded crabmeat. Along with other fixes, I am running on some good pain meds (Percocet (thumbs u ) to keep me from doubling over in pain. Make me feel better... some may know I don't like toned coins... show me some really good, untoned silver!

Scott :hi:

1853HalfDollarO-1.jpg1853HalfDollarR-1.jpg

This is an expensive coin, and it has been dipped, but I bought it anyway. The price was less than Gray Sheet bid at the time by a few hundred dollars. This 1853 arrows and rays half dollar is in an NGC MS-64. Despite the dipping, I agree with the grade. I have not seen any examples of this coin that had stunning original toning.

Very nice.Cool die cracks. How can you tell it was dipped?

MS silver of this age (150+ years old) should not be virtually untoned unless there were extraordinary storage issues associated with the coin. If it is untoned and without a fairly thick skin then it is almost certainly a piece that has been dipped.

You likely know that I don't have much untoned silver, but I think this one might be acceptable to both of us-

H1941SP65.jpg

H1941SP65R.jpg

After roughly three years, this one has started to get a bit of rim toning in a Dansco, but here's what it looked like when it was cracked it out:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

You likely know that I don't have much untoned silver, but I think this one might be acceptable to both of us-

Just like Tom, I don't have much untoned silver that is not modern. In fact, I have only one and here it is.

MorganDollar1921-SNGCMS65GreatFa-2.jpgMorganDollar1921-SNGCMS65GreatFa-3.jpg

Nice Morgan... Why would you say it had been cleaned... She looks to have a Ton of luster..

It looks fine to me, too! Maybe it was "professionally" conserved. :devil:

Chris

Perhaps ldhair meant 'dipped' rather than 'cleaned'.

Scott, here's a couple from my 1943-P mint set I'm working on (I'm down to the half, and she's taking her sweet time). Hope you feel better.

PCGS MS65FS

005-0036-775.jpg

PCGS MS65FB (Rattler)

010-0040-775.jpg

Those PL Morgans are gorgeous!

I love that 1928-D Peace Dollar. I think Peace Dollars are underrated as compared to Morgans. I love both series, but there's something about Peace Dollars I find more appealing!!

Rey... that 1944-S Merc is fantastic!

Chirs... I love those Canadians. I don't have the 1973 Anniversary $10 coin, yet.

Michael... I that 1943-P nickel is real sweet. I'm surprised you didn't post the 2008 Britannia. :)

MikeInFL... be still my heart on that bicentennial quarter.

With all that silver, I am feeling better!! But time to deal with meds and get some rest!

THANKS!!

Scott :hi:

Michael... I that 1943-P nickel is real sweet. I'm surprised you didn't post the 2008 Britannia. :)

Thanks, Scott. I've been looking for the right nickel for a long time. When I finally found one on eBay with no toning, a good strike, no ugly spotting issues, and decent enough photos to tell, I bid aggressively and won it.

As for my britannia - believe it or not, I'm trying not to be too obnoxious about finding one ;) I did post her in the world forum's latest acquisition thread. When I find the last one I need (2007), I'm going to post them all at once. I'll probably post some thrusting bananas as well. ;)