• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the value if any of a 1801 Silver dollar altered

12 posts in this topic

Probably only as much as you value it. (besides the silver content. I don't know. There may be those that collect these also.

Just Bob the history of the coin is a friend of my owns a jewelry store. This older gentleman came in to sell some gold and diamonds and a this dollar and a few silver halves. The diamonds were in mountings from the 1920's and he said he got it all from his father when he died in the 1950's. Like many of the people here commented on other threads, the guy was sell to raise money for this years oil heat.

When ever my friend gets coins or American eagles he gives them to me since he doesn't know anything about coins and and basically buys them to give to me.

Anyone else can give me a guess on the value?

I'm not sure if there is enough history for the sale of altered 1801's into the famous 1804 King of Kings to determine the out right value of such a coin.

Perhaps ANACS would authenticate it to be a genuine 1801 silver dollar with a details grade of perhaps VF-30 Altered Date and you can go from there.

I would imagine it would still be worth at least $500-$800 US as is, it depends on who and how many people would want it for their collection, how it's presented and without a high reserve.

Even though it's altered, it is still a handsome coin!

Good luck.

There are some serious collectors of altered and counterfeit coins who scoop this kind of thing up. I couldn't tell you the value but I know there is a market.