• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this coin from Peru?

4 posts in this topic

I'm considering buying this just for fun. The coin looks like it might have been chemically treated to my eyes. I don't really have a problem with that. It still looks very impressive to me.

I thought I'd ask for opinions from everyone here. The seller wants about $50-60 for it.

edited to add pictures....

61816-052708Lot6a.jpg.9d1099ad23bff5830d66b089a4e65555.jpg

61817-052708Lot6b.jpg.ca2c65a09e8009d7ced4118047143aa1.jpg

I'm pretty sure I purchased many of these from the original submitter at the NYINC show. The coins were clearly worked and ranged from looks acceptable to looked awful. The seller told me they were "recovered" and I passed on a lot of them. Based on what I saw and what the dealer said, NGC seems to have net graded many of them.

If this coin is from the same hoard, expect a slightly unusual looking coin.

I'm a big fan of this design, and would also probably buy one just because it looked cool. However, based on the pictures and based on Greg's story, I would probably pass on this one.