• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Little Better Date 1891-o Morgan - Worth a shot???

13 posts in this topic

A little flat above the ear, but they all are... Even some at the top grades... Looking for unbiased feedback... Thanks, will post actual grades when returned on this one...

Lustre is good - I added another photo - Coin is very nice with a few places where there are breaks in frost/lustre (appear as marks on cheek in photo, but do not really break surface) - I'm sure from contact with other coins, but by no means the kind of contact marks that have displace metal to a high degree... Is actually toned around rim and in center... THANKS

I looked at your Morgan #2 first and gave my opinion on it. This one really surprises me as to the difference of how the picture taking is effecting the ability to grade these coins effectively. At first I would have guessed anoth MS65 but with the second set of pics, it took me to MS63, possibly 64. The #2 Morgan you are showing in the other post has the same picture quality as the first pic in this thread. It would be curious to see what it looks like with some of the subdueness missing from it also.

This coin looks to be original and in typical "O" mint fashion

The flatten hair and Rim Chatter and the chattering from cheek down to the

neck will hold this coin back.

AU58

I will go with MS62/63 on this coin, despite the pictures. This date does not usually come nice. IMHO, there is no wear on the coin, the strike is fairly typical for this date and MM and is not wear (just a few luster breaks and chatter) keep it from MS64. You can see the planchet surface color above and on the ear as a function of weak strike. The chatter on the cheek will lose a grade. I used to collect "O" mint Morgans and and a competed AU55/MS65 set at one time.

MS-63, and very close to being worth the cost of submission. My cutoff is nearer $500 value, but if your coin hits MS-64, then you are well past that.

I think this one needs a slab. Oh, and I like the coin.

Thanks, You pegged it - I really thought that one would have come back a 64 even with the strike, the lustre on that coin is crazy.... I went through a few of my others and found one with a pretty nice strike for a 91-o (pics below). I think I'll send it and the one with the crazy roller marks from my other post in next...

83452.jpg.a0accf5f9455b8540f21ce0d9b82e801.jpg

83453.jpg.e346eeac997f8cf9a5d4fec19aa32147.jpg

83454.jpg.98bc31fdaedc73044e57646c37d663be.jpg