• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921-s - Worth a shot???

10 posts in this topic

Come on guys - post an opinion or two - a little flat struck on the breast, but they all are... Even some at the top grades... unbiased feedback please...

I have to apologize here as to I don't like the pic quality of these morgans popping up. They all seem to be hiding things to me. This 21 has what looks like some corrosion issues going on but the pics are being subdued to hide the extremes. I think with some more close to in-hand pics may help grade these effectively, if that's what you're looking for.

That coin would body bag for numerous issues

thumbing

tooled

environmental damage

altered surface

Tried to eliminate glare with softer type of light to expose more detail - I hate the way glare often obscures big sections of coins and have had trouble taking higher res photos that reveal much more detail than it's a shiny coin - tough... Obverse has a very small contact mark under and between the us. Otherwise very, very nice. Reverse is free of any mentionable defects, but does have very dark pinhead spots on the surface (do not think it has necessarily impacted the surface - i.e. no pitting, but it's wierd) would possibly send to conserve if good chance at being a decent grade, but it's such a common year that it hasn't been a priority.... More of a learning opportunity than anything... Advice???

1921-S is really undervalued in MS-63 and above, in my opinion. Nonetheless, I do not think it is MS-65, which is a must to justify the cost of certification for this issue. There's a huge jump between MS-63/4 ($52/$130) and MS-65 ($750).

Save your money on this one. And, I agree it needs conservation.

Thanks to all...

New pic's - Soaked in Acetone (NOT fingernail polish remover:), Residue on surface is gone with no damage left beneath.... May give another brief soak...

62223-1921srev10.jpg.96a4392f57e55205ff01e5296069660f.jpg

62224-1921srev20.jpg.4e2e53266f871f6d129fe06c477c1660.jpg

62225-1921srev22.jpg.9b58ab7ad7b7d6a08b089ef6bb2afad8.jpg