• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bringing back an old Favorite with New Pictures taken today

19 posts in this topic

Weighing in at over 10 oz this medal is one of my favorites, from my Box of Twenty.

Fresh photos taken today.

boxoftwenty23a.jpg

boxoftwenty23b.jpg

Nice death medal Pat, of the "Prisoner of the Vatican", Pope Pius outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed There is an interesting book about the reinstatement of Papal Infallibility concerning Pius IX and his failure to retain the Vatican States of central Italy during the Italian War of Unification. Pius also refused to meet King Victor Emmanuel I for 30 years thereafter, even though their palaces were only 100 yards apart. Louis Napoleon III was planning to invade Italy in 1870 to reinstate the Papal States, and regain the southern Italian Kingdom of Savoy but Bismark with his army's unanticipated visit to Paris in 1870 put a damper on Louis Napoleon's enthusiasm for any more war. Plus Bismark's visit also dissuaded Franz Joseph of Austria from interfering for Pius outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

AT. Oh, wait a minute, that's a different thread.

I've seen that medal posted probably a dozen times. It takes my breath away each time. It's just an incredible job of engraving and an equally good image. I think you should post it daily. (thumbs u

Amazing medal that I never tire of seeing. Thanks. (thumbs u

Ditto.

Everyone that I have shown pictures of that medal has gone crazy over it.

Any chance of seeing this thing from the side? Just to see how thick it is?
That's a good idea. Next chance I get (in a few days) I will do so. It's got to be a quarter inch, at least.

Thanks guys for the kind words. My wife, who doesn't understand coin collecting, likes this one too.

That reminded me of one of the hallways I saw in the Vatican last fall. Lots of similarities but not the model for your medal.

DSC01069.jpg