• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin dreams

14 posts in this topic

Within the past month I've had two clear dreams about coins.

In the first one I was at a bank in British Columbia and a teller was having second thoughts about selling me a roll of BU 1911 cents at face value.

In the second one (from two nights ago) I was cleaning out my desk drawer at a job I had 20+ years ago and found a bunch of coins and a small white box with three coins in them. One was an 1839 Gobrecht dollar in VF/EF in a white 2x2, and the coin showed beautiful album toning in blue and orange. I can't remember what the other coins were, but they were nice early 19th century coins. When a coworker was taking the bulk of the coins found in the drawer, I held on to the 3 from the white box. I also remember that one of them belonged to kranky.

Have you had any distinctly coin-related dreams lately? If so, give us the details.

I had a wierd coin dream several years ago. I dreamed that I was in an old country store some time in the 1800's and I saw a jar of large cents sitting on the counter. I remember that I was ready to take a few coins from the jar, and then I woke up.

I can't say I've ever dreamed about coins while I was asleep. I've dreamed about a lot of them while I was awake tho'. lol

I once dreamed I was down near the small creek on my granddaddy's farm. I started metal detecting (which I enjoy reading about, but have never done) and I started pulling up all kinds of awesome silver coins and jewelery. I was piling it into a 5 gallon bucket, causing it to overflow, and I was really excited - until I woke up. SPOON!

Yes, I've dreamed about coins at one time or another, but like most dreams the events disappear from my memory pretty quickly.

One thing I've noticed about these coin dreams, however, is that I always so to forget to bring the coins with me and end up leaving them on the other side. doh!

My coin dreams usually focus on one of two themes. One is that I go back in time and try to get my ancestors to save coins for their descendants. The other is that I try to use "weird" money (like dollar coins or $2 bills) in a store but the cashier refusing to accept them and me insisting that it's legal tender and they have to and it just gets into a giant frustrating scary argument.

What's funny about my latest two dreams is that they were so detailed. I remember thinking the 1839 dollar looked like it had once been cleaned but had beautiful album toning. I think one of the other coins was a flowing hair dollar or half, but I forgot most of the dream within a few hours of waking up.

I dreamt I was in a coin shop with two guys who said they wanted to sell some coins. While I think they were supposed to be father and son, they both looked like they were in their 30s.

Anyway, among the coins they had were a couple of gold dollars I wanted to look at. One of the store owners pulled out a magazine like Coin Prices (not Grey Sheet or Blue Sheet) to get an idea of what they were worth. The more smug of the two guys asked to see the magazine, and while looking at the prices for his coins in high grade (and it appeared he had no idea how to grade) he said, "I should be able to get a lot more for these if I sell them myself. I'll be able to focus my attention on people who call to buy them since I don't have so many other coins to worry about."

At this point the store owner hopped over the glass cases that surrounded him (it HAD to be a dream for that to happen) and went to a different set of display cases where the other owner and some customers were standing. Rather than argue with the would-be seller about the flaws of his thinking (i.e. that he wouldn't be able to give an accurate description over the phone since he doesn't really know anything about coins) or ask to see the coins, I shook my head and walked away.

I wonder how many coin store owners would have real-life stories to tell like this one. hm